Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria_n_gw

Dwarf Gardenias in the SW - What to do

Maria_N
19 years ago

New to Garden Web so I hope I am posting in the correct area. Please re-direct me if I'm in the wrong place.I container garden and would like to pot a dwarf gardenia but I am unsure just how to go about creating a mini micro-climate for it. I know they need full sun and quite a bit of moisture. I thought I would put pea gravel in the dish and keep it wet. I'm afraid the dry heat will just do it in though. Any suggestions??

I also have a hibiscus that was given me just last week. It's just about 5 inches tall now with one bud starting. I still have it in the container it was started in. Any thoughts??

Comments (5)

• chagrin
    18 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by a dwarf Gardenia. I used to grow Gardenias in containers, and they all started out as pretty small plants, but ended up fairly large--so much so that the time came when I could no longer accommodate them indoors where they have to be in winter here (I'm about 20 miles south of Albuquerque). I did not give them any extra consideration. They spent the summer on the east side of my house under the eaves, where they got morning sunshine only. And they were watered every day just like most everything else outside has to be. I miss not having Gardenias anymore, but I miss not having a lot of things anymore.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

I am in austin and i grow gardenia outdoors. i get them out of their nursery pots immmediately. i use a lrg container (at least 2x the pot they came in), the deeper the better, with good soil, a thick layer of good pine mulch (I think the pine is very important). they reside on a porch that gets about 6-8 hrs of sun per day, most of it in mid-afternoon. the temps have reached 108 there. i use liquified seaweed once a week for at least a month when i first plant them in their containers so they get a good start and never purchase new plants may-aug. i feed them half strength miracle gro once a month in march, apr, may and again in sept, oct, nov. they produce beautiful, fragrant flowers like clockwork. i also have a yellow hisbiscus that grows right along with them. (also, a tx star hibiscus has a smaller bloom but is very heat resistant, i dont have the proper name for mine, common 'hawaiian type'). i treat it just the same as the gardenia, it's 3yrs old, about 4 1/2' tall and it blooms nicely. i water very early morning as a rule, but water at a sunset may-aug to avoid steaming the plant, avoiding the leaves as much as possible.
    i am not sure why you would need pea gravel, it is my experience that gardenia prefer very rich soil. i grew gardenia in fla and thought i wouldnt be able to in texas, but they have performed well in containers. if you get alot of wind in your area, consider a spot that will block it. i hope i have helped. Good luck!
    Jo

Disclaimer: I do not agree with nor endorse the use of "Sponsored Links" embedded in my posts by the owner of this or any other website and would never purchase anything from any advertiser that used this deceptive form of advertising.

• ankraras
    18 years ago

I am assuming that you are referring to Gardenia radicans. How is it doing for you now?
    Radicans should be coming into it's blooming period just about now.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Maria_N
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your response. Sad to say and incredibly shocking...someone stole my plant. I had it in a container in a morning sun spot and it was doing beautifully. Woke up one morning to go water and found it was gone without a trace. For a few days I put the Gardenia food out with a sign informing the thief that he/she forgot to steal the food also. the thief did not come back for the food.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

wow! that sucks. sorry to hear it.

Sponsored