Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lataxman

hardy vine to cover chain link fence

LATaxMan
20 years ago

Looking for a hardy vine - or large shrub to grow up or against chainlink fence around garden area - would prefer evergreen and attractive. Flowers would be nice! Oh, and the problem is I'm gardening at 4000 ft elevation in CA high-desert - 100-plus from June to October and frosts from November to March. Any ideas? (will be on drip irrigation because we get no rain and hot dry winds)

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Pyracantha

Some honeysuckles (might not be evergreen)

• cnm7
    20 years ago

Perhaps a Lady Banks Rose would fit the bill.
    Cynthia

• LATaxMan
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks. I'm tempted to try Grewia (Lavendar Star Flower) because it does exactly what I want here in Los Angeles, but I'm not sure it will live through the winter frosts. Maybe I'll mix it with Lady Banks Rose. Roses do very well up here - but it won't give me any coverage in the winter.
    Thanks for your help.

• lindavip
    20 years ago

This plant is so beautiful. I wonder how it would do in Moreno Valley area in southern CA. Where would I find it to buy? Anyone seen it for sale?

• sophiew
    20 years ago

HONEYSUCKLES VERY HARDY PRETTY FLOWERS OR TRUMPET VINE..

• endkaos
    20 years ago

I live in Arizona's high sonoran desert. May I suggest a California Vine with purplish flowers or a fast growing, abit messy, Boganvilla. Both Boganvilla and Honeysuckle
    can be difficult to control once they become established.

I have a California Vine by my pool. It is not too messy, covers the pool fence well and uses little water through a drip system.

Hope this helps.

• judy_b
    20 years ago

I'm not familiar with California Vine. Do you have more info on it?

• eileenaz
    20 years ago

Cape honeysuckle is as tough as it is pretty, and the flowers are beautiful.

• Bizfarmer
    20 years ago

Don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but just in case I will kick in my experience. We live in Gilbert, Az.(near Phnx), and have over 200' of 5' chainlink on our west side next to a canal. We have tried pink bower vine, potato vine, Lady Bank's Rose, snail vine, and finally, passion vine. The bower vine and potato vine were a disaster, the Bank's rose is barely holding its own (but it IS under a big cottonwood tree), the snail vine is doing ok, but not great. The passion vine seems to be the one that will take. After 3 years it has grown 20' in each direction, and has lush dark green foliage with copious beautiful large purple blooms. They smell a little funny, but are attractive nonetheless. It froze back one year, but returned with renewed vigor in the spring. Try it, you will like it! Today I was clearing the weeds and dead grass from under it and noticed that the ever-present large orange butterflies were laying 1 egg at a time on the leaves. We have never seen a caterpillar, but there must be some relationship going on. Good luck!

• pjcalgirl
    19 years ago

Trumpet Vines are bomb proof but aggressive.They grow with out very much supplemental water to establish where it is hot 115 and below freezing.PJ

• goopysteve
    16 years ago

what's a fast growing cover for chain link fence in zone 10??

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus