Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hidesertlady

Mulberry and Mojave native tree Nurseries?

HiDesertLady
20 years ago

Hello,

I'm very happy to have found this forum!

I'm looking for somewhere in the high desert (AV, Hesp., Victorville area) to purchase fruitless mulberry trees (Morus sp.) as well as native trees and plants (such as mesquite, etc.)

Someone must sell them, I see them growing everywhere...but can't seem to find what I am looking for. Home Depot and Lowe's just doesn't carry what I'm looking for...nor are their plants acclimatized to our unique climate. I've been to a couple of local smaller nurseries as well, but they haven't got what I'm looking for either.

I need shade badly for a house I just moved into, I want to start these mulberry trees this year. I know I'm running out of time.

On the rest of my property I want to plant desert natives only. (I'm great with cactus...no need to steer me in that direction.)

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

"I need shade badly for a house I just moved into"

Fruitless mulberries will not give you shade any faster than a well-watered mesquite will. They are suceptible to sooty canker, are water-hogs, and make weak trees that break easily in high winds.

For now, check out the shadescreen material at HD. Making them is cheap and easy and it's an IMMEDIATE 20° drop in inside temperatures.

Trellises and fast-growing vines are another option.

• texgardener
    20 years ago

Lazygardens. . . about this shadescreen stuff you are talking about. Are you talking about a special window screen? I have a very hot & sunny back yard on the west side of my house. I have planted a fruitless mulbery and a mimosa--both about 10 feet tall but just planted a week ago. That will work in a couple of years but in the mean time tell me how this screen shade works?

• mohabee
    20 years ago

HiDesertLady,

Perhaps the two nurseries in Yucca Valley (about 60 miles from Victorville) have the mulberries. I visited these businesses about a year ago, and was amazed at the shrubs and tree stock at both establishments. And very helpful customer service, too.

Best wishes!

Mohabee

• waaz
    20 years ago

If you're still looking for mulberrys let me know, I know a nursery who will have some in the Spring

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

I never seen problems with Mulberries breaking in the wind and disease problems you mention develope mostly with poor pruning management or "topping" .... they are big sturdy fast growing handsome trees when planted right and taken care of ... give them plenty of room above and below ground ... not for small landscapes ...... there biggest problem roots ... and you will have plenty of mess to clean up indeed fruitless or not ...

It is not unheard of to see Mesquites falling over frequently ... but improper use of drip irrigation methods are often a malor culprit ....

Mulberries will have different watering requirements then xeriphytes so you will have to plan your landscape and irrigation design accordingly.

Good Day .....

• quercus1
    19 years ago

Hi
    I am a long time resident of Hesperia and a landscape designer. Seems most everyone plants mulberries, when they first come to the desert. While these trees have their uses, they are regularly mis-planted. By this I mean they are planted in the wrong location. These trees when mature reach 50ftx50ft spread. When the tree has over grown its place people then result to pollarding. This pruning practice weakens the tree and causes most of the problems mentioned. A good source in the area for mulberries is Cal's nursery in Hesperia, also you might find them at H&E and HomeDepot. No interest in any of the places mentioned.

• JoshuaTree
    19 years ago

HiDesertLady:

I have lived in the high desert(Apple Valley) 67 years (Native of Victorville). I would agree with quercus1 in his synopsis of mulberry trees. My father-in-law planted two fruitless mulberries in his backyard in Victorville over 40 years ago and they have been a pain to maintain.
    Infact at 87 years old he finally decided to have them taken out, but found the cost was outrageous.

Recently sold the house. I would not recommend planting these trees, unless you want tons of compost from the leaves they shed every year. LOL!!!!

JT

• Linda Shropshire
    8 years ago

I have a friend who lives in Lake LA who grows them. If interested, let me know

• violetwest
    8 years ago

ten year old thread!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting