Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xill

other shurbs to mix with bougainvillea?

xill
12 years ago

hello all, i'm a brand new member, but have been reading posts for over a year. now i have a question of my own :)

i recently purchased a new home, it's on a corner lot with the side running roughly 200ft. there's 4ft between my 6ft cedar privacy fence and the sidewalk that's irrigated but i'd prefer shrubs over useless grass. i'm currently gathering a few new bougainvillea plants and taking cuttings from my current plants in order to help fill in along the fenceline to provide more privacy (neighborhood kids can peek into the yard through the wooden planks and the dog goes crazy with every skateboard that passes by). my question is, what other shrubs "play nice" with bougainvillea? i dont want to use only bougainvillea in case there's a pest or disease problem in the future, i dont want to lose my entire privacy hedge in one shot. i'm thinking of alternating 2-3 different bougainvillea (i have barbara karst, purple queen i think, and some sort of pinkish white variety) along with maybe 2 other types of shrubs and 3-4 street trees. i'd like the other shrubs i throw into the mix to be evergreen and not steal the thunder from my bougainvillea, but help add to the privacy and fill in the blanks. i'm also looking for these shrubs to be relatively clean (the bougainvillea make enough mess on their own). since i have alot of space to fill, i'd rather spend the bulk of my gardening budget on the inside of the fence where i spend my time, rather than on the outside which i don't see near as often. so shrubs i can get started during the summer from cuttings or seeds would be great. i plan to plant all of my bougainvillea in the fall after the summer heat has passed. anyone have any ideas for shrubs that would fill my needs and make my fenceline the envy of the neighborhood? lol. any advice is appreciated.

BTW, i live in the Imperial Valley, much the same environment as Palm Springs and Phoenix, and the outside of my fence faces west so these shrubs would need to be able to handle full sun (11am-dusk) and wind. our wind always blows in from the west/northwest, but luckily all my neighbors across the street have mature indian laurels which break alot of that, but not all. i'd also prefer shrubs that can thrive on the same watering schedule as my bougainvilleas which would be a deep watering every 2 weeks after they're established.

Comment (1)

• roseseek
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Xill, You should be able to grow many things they grow in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage. One I am particularly enamoured with is leucophyllum. It THRIVES on heat and will flower all summer with available water. There are several types and a few hybrids. It's a slow grower, but if it gets leggy, you can slash it to the ground and it regrows. If you drive around the Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area you will see them looking like silk plants! Behind the Mimi's Cafe on HWY 111 (I think it is) they've used it as a hedge in their parking lot. They keep the two types they grow there tightly sheared with regular (don't know the frequency, but it can't be that heavy) and every time I've seen them over the years, they are tight, densely foliated to the ground and paved with flowers. Unpruned, they get open and airy. I grow them here on my hill in Encino and love them. They can get large, so you might want to plant them higher on the slope so they can achieve the privacy you want before you begin shaping and shearing them to be the density you want. There are several foliage and flower colors so you can mix and match to give yourself the texture and colors you want. Plant them as specimen or densely to form a tight hedge (as has been done in town in Rancho Mirage). Absolutely gorgeous shrub which stretches like an old cat in that kind of heat! And, they're native to the desert south west and Mexico so you know they'll work! I have never seen any pest or disease problems with them. Just give them decent drainage, though with careful watering, I've planted them in less than decent drainage and had them thrive in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys. Municipalities and HOAs are using them for xeriscaping common areas.

Also take a look at Dwarf Myrtle, myrtis communis compacta. It is a weed and can be hacked mercilessly, exploding from thick, old wood, requiring minimal water once established, dense foliage, lovely spring flowers with small, dark blue berries afterward. The foliage scent is lovely and is actually used as a rinse for dark colored hair. You can leave them alone of prune them tightly for extremely dense coverage. They say it grows to three feet, but the fifty year old plants out back are easily five feet by five feet. Here, it gets very infrequent water and full, all day sun. Not that my sun can compare to YOURS, but nothing, not even the gophers and rabbits, has been able to irritate it and it smells SO good! It makes a pretty contrast to the leucophyllum and both should be pretty with your bougainvilleas.

To add other colors, in case they are desired, plant as many Salvia greggii types as you can find. All hot time color, extremely water thrifty and they LOVE heat! Hummingbirds love the leucophyllum and slavia. They come in a variety of color and are another plant you can shear severely and have explode again when it gets hot. I don't know if you have any rabbit or gopher issues, but they leave this one alone, period! Hope they help! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucophyllum

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH