Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

A Very Ambitious Project...Questions

sandhill_farms
18 years ago

I would like to begin by apologizing for the length of this post but I have many questions. I would appreciate any answers you can give, and would welcome any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

When we first bought our two acres here in the southern Nevada desert my intent was to grow vegetables for market. Harsh weather, poor soil, and water issues have altered my thoughts on the use of our property somewhat. What I now plan to do is to create a diverse, almost park-like atmosphere, where one can take a walk through the property and as they do see different scenes. For example, in front and next to our home I've already created vegetable gardens that are doing well. I've improved the soil by adding tons of compost that I make right here on the property, and everything is on automatic drip systems. Right next to this area, and hidden from view by rows of huge oleanders is what we call our park. You transition from the vegetable gardens into the park by walking through an arbor. In the park is a lawn, trees, and raised beds with flowers. In the center of the park is a street light that is on a dimmer, and low voltage solar lights in various locations. The park is also surrounded by view blocking oleanders, texas rangers and Allepo pine trees.

In the next phase I intend to create somewhat of a tropical area that will include a swimming pool, waterfall, pond, palm trees, etc. Next to this area I will build a small barn and chicken coop. We will raise chickens for eggs, and raise our own beef. Kind of a farm like setting if you will. In the last, and very large area of our property, I intend to expand on our already desert landscape by adding pathways, many-many native species of plants and trees, and rocks that I collect in the desert. One advantage I have here is that I can get all the native vegetation, cacti - etc., for free. Hopefully this area will become a sanctuary for our desert birds and wildlife.

Now here's some questions I have to get me started:

Is there a book, or someplace online that I can research the native plants and trees in southern Nevada, complete with pictures?

Is there any desert tree/shrub, that will serve as a privacy screen, (other than oleander)? It would have to be quick growing. My intent here is to block the view from the outside, and to divide each area on the property, (if you know what I mean).

Are there any desert plants/shrubs that you can suggest that would go well in our "tropical" area? Palm trees do well here, and asparagus fern does too. Can you think of any other plants that would fit well in this area? Colorful flowers maybe?

Are there any desert plants that would benefit by composted soil? The reason I ask this is the fact I have endless

amounts of composted horse manure.

Well I know I'll have many more questions as I go along so I hope you'll bare with me. Again I would welcome any and all suggestions.

Greg

Nevada

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County