Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnesium and iron

Posted by Moonsinger 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 04 at 9:27

I know here with the sandy soil on the west side of Albq we should amend with something. Is it Ironite? Magnesium? Potassium? Any suggestions? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnesium and iron

I know the first thing to add to the soil is organic matter: it gets used up fast in the hot weather.
I don't know if I would use Ironite, although Lots of people do use it. It's manufactured from mining wastes and has been found to be high in lead, which is taken up by plants. There was an article in Organic Gardening Magazine last year, I think, on the topic.
Magnesium, usually in the form of Epsom Salts, may be useful in working with clay soils.
Potassium is one of the essential nutrients for life, and is present in compost. It may be amended to the soil in the form of green sand, for one source.
Norm

o

I am in the North Valley and mostly have clay soil but have a few sandy areas. Try using composted cotton burs, work it into the the soil before planting. Organic matter will help you more than trace elements (ironite)

Good Luck!
Jeff

o

Thanks, all, especially about Ironite! Man, I don't need that kind of toxin in my soil! I do add organic matter (compost, alfalfa feed) and will do some epsom salts. I do lots of container gardening, but some things in the ground would be nice, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here