Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hill Ideas

Posted by elkhunter_gardener (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 10:39

I am new to Texas and I have a very large hill on the property that I don't know what to do with. The soil is very poor and rocky (limestone shale) and the hill is too steep to mow the weeds down (weeds apparently do very well). I am looking for any ideas that will 1) prevent erosion, 2) beautify the hill 3) no maintenance 4) little to no water (irrigation).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hill Ideas

Dwarf Coyote Bush (baccharis pilularis) fits all of your requirements. Needs some water to get established of course but will survive on rain alone, as it does in the Chihuahuan and Sonoran deserts. Tough, attractive plant. If it's not available at a local nursery, you can buy inexpensive mail order plants. No need to buy big plants; it is a fast grower.

o

Where in Texas? How much freezing do you have?

o

Is this HIll country , Cross Timbers or west Texas. What plant community is around it now?? Nolina texana and nolina lindheimeri. Wheeping muhlenbergia. Liatris muncrata or Liatris punctada.Dalea greggii..any of the daleas. Salvia gregii, salvia chionophyla, curly mesquite grass. agarita,Desert willow tree.Damianita, heteratheca villosa (stiff leaved false golden aster) It will seed out. I have spare plants and seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here