Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highwhistler

What location has the 'perfect' climate for vegetables gardens?

highwhistler
15 years ago

Hello Friends,

I've always wanted to move to New Mexico or Arizona, and a primary interest of mine is home vegetable gardening.

Do you know of an area, a valley, a special place anywhere in New Mexico or Arizona, that is ideal for growing a wide variety of vegetables for as many months as possible, throughout the year?

Temperatures, soil, and ample water are my main points of interest.

I know that Seeds of Change is near Santa Fe, and they obviously do very well in the growing of a wide variety of vegetables.

Your advice and suggestions are deeply appreciated. In advance: Thank you!

Peace,

Highwhistler

PS: It is OK to suggest a remote area, too, as long as there is some sort of fast internet service available. I am a visionary artist, author and website designer -- that is my business and I work from home, alone.

Comments (8)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I don't know of any specific good places, but anywhere agriculture is thriving should do the trick. In New Mexico, you do want to consider the wind factor. There are many places in this state which are windy. One needs fencing, block walls or trees to protect gardens from wind damage. Good luck with your search and relocation!

Lorna

• fabaceae_native
    15 years ago

I agree with Lorna, looking for a spot where commercial agriculture is viable is a good way to go. In NM and AZ, this would be limited to major river valleys or areas irrigated from the Colorado River.

A warning about Seeds of Change: I have been to their farm, which is a beautiful and progressive place, and I love the company, but the seeds they offer ARE NOT necessarily grown in NM. In fact, most are from growers in the Pacific Northwest and California. Their farm is simply too small to do much beyond field trials. So it's not the place to look for regionally adapted varieties for the Southwest. For that, you're better off looking into Plants of the Southwest or Native Seeds/SEARCH.

If I could move anywhere in NM and AZ for gardening specifically, I would probably go to Southeastern Arizona. It's mild, and mountainous enough to be fairly wet, at least for the SW. Very subtropical feeling, especially during the monsoon in July and August. The area around Patagonia, AZ, is what I'm familiar with (which happens to be the location of the Native Seeds/SEARCH research farm).

Anyway, have fun in your search...

• kiwi-in-arizona
    15 years ago

I'm in Northern Arizona....and wouldn't recommend it for veggie gardening.

But just wanted to comment on high-speed internet in rural Southwest. I also work at home - but because I'm in a canyon, my only choice for high-speed internet is Hughes or Wildblue - both satellite. I have Hughes....and calling it high-speed is a real stretch of the imagination. I'd make sure that where ever you go - you can get something OTHER than satellite!

• sheloolie
    15 years ago

Highwhistler, you are asking the same question I have been asking for several years-and living in coastal central California, I know that I will never find a climate as good as this for vegetables. Never a month when we're not harvesting many varieties. I love the desert southwest and have family there who I'd love to live close to, but have come to the conclusion that veggie gardening can't be a high priority if I do indeed intend to move there--at least not the kind of veggie gardening I'm used to. The climate and the soils have the final say. Good luck!

• gran-t-anthem-az
    15 years ago

Certain older neighborhoods in the Phoenix area used to be agricultural and some still have irrigation rights and canals. I really like the Arcadia neighborhood, its urban and somewhat affluent, with older homes and good size lots. Culture and great dining nearby. Many people I know garden there with great results. Houses can be spendy.

Here is a link that might be useful: East Phoenix

• catnip3
    15 years ago

I live in Las Cruces, NM and consider gardening pretty difficult here. It's hot and very dry, and windy (usually just in spring but not this year). However, there are pecan orchards everywhere plus large fields of corn, cotton, chile peppers and even onions and cabbage. I had no idea it was such an agricultural area. Might be worth a look.

• fabaceae_native
    15 years ago

Hi again, Highwhistler...

This is becoming a nice thread, I hope people continue to chime in with their opinions.

I just wanted to give the following URL, of the Native Seeds/SEARCH conservation farm in Patagonia, AZ. You can see what they have to say about the area, as well as some photos. For more info you could also google the Sonoita Patagonia Creek Preserve (can't remember the exact name), which is one of the very best birding spots in the entire US for total number of species, as well as rarely seen ones. I've done a great deal of traveling and if you like gardening and nature I can't think of a more exciting place within the continental US.

http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/content.php?catID=1012

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

I live Las Cruces, NM also. Catnip3 must be talking about gardening on the mesas that surround the Rio Grand Valley as being challenging. I live on the East Mesa and would agree, it is a challenge but not impossible with some soil amendments. On the other hand the valley offers some the best farming soil in the USA. As catnit3 stated, many of the bigger parcels of land still have junior water rights to the river water. That not being the case, well water is available in more than adequate quantities. The planting season begins in February and the last harvesting is about Thanksgiving.

Housing is affordable, people are nice and the whole county is about 200,000. No, no I not in real estate. We move here 7 yrs. ago from the Rust Belt and love it!!!!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA