Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How late to plant zucchini?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 14:05

I am trying to plant late to possibly miss the squash vine borer that has ruined my squash each year. When should I plant here in Albuquerque to try this technique?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How late to plant zucchini?

I live near Tucson. There are several seasons of squash borers.

They are going to get summer squash no matter what I do. The thing that's worked best for me is to get down and search for eggs on the underside of leaves and stems and poke them with a needle. I do this only with the first plants. I never get them all. I also go after borers in the stem with a wire, but you probably know that works maybe half the time.

I just plant squash once a month and enjoy what I want and give away the rest or compost it. I don't bother to preserve summer squash. I don't really like it frozen or canned. When a vine succumbs to borer damage, I pull it up and put it in the burn pile--not the compost pile.

o

I have heard that planting July 4th avoids most squash bugs in central NM. I am trying it this year.
Good luck

o

Have you had any difficulty finding squash that late in the stores, or do you grow from seed?

o

Zucchini mature in 45-55 days so you can have a planting in mid August and have fruit till the first frost.

o

The past twp years I have waited here (zone 7 Albuquerque)til second week in June to plant the squash seeds & -it may just be luck- but those two years I never had a problem with squash bugs. Had heard that the heaviest squash bug egg laying is finished by June so will try my luck again by planting next week! I had squash really producing great when earlier planted neighbor's squash was past their prime so who knows?!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here