Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prunus Caroliniana Compacta in Austin

Posted by sundeviltx 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 14:10

I got a couple of these guys from Home Depot labeled Compact Carolina Cherry Laurels to plant on the west side of my house. I want to ultimately plant more to shade out the entire west side, so all that side of the house stays a little cooler in the evenings. I need them to be about 15 feet tall and want to shape them into small trees instead of Shrubs. Anybody have any experience with this plant? I heard Carolina cherry laurels are prolific spreading plants. That doesn't bother me, in fact I would like it to be that way and fast growing. If these work I will get 4 more to plant them 10 feet apart. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prunus Caroliniana Compacta in Austin

If you want small trees, select plants that have a single strong upright leader. If they don't have that, you will have a harder time.

Prune them lightly, but frequently. You want to remove the lowest branches while they are small to encourage the vertical growth, but don't prune out more than a few every month or you will stunt the growth.

When you have the lower branches high enough so you can walk under the tree, you are into maintenance mode and just prune branches to maintain the tree shape: branches that cross through the middle, branches that rub together, and any that stick too far out.

Make sure they are far enough from the house that they aren't damaging paint, and have room to spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here