Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abq_bob

Plant shopping woes

abq_bob
17 years ago

Well I must say that without Rowlands, plant shopping in Albuquerque has been an exercise in frustration this year. Just this weekend went to four nurseries looking for what should have been very COMMON stuff and NONE of them had it. Nasturtiums, Lemon Verbena, Heliotrope, African Daisies, common thyme. I couldn't believe it!

I could ALWAYS get that kind of stuff at Rowlands - even on their busiest weekends. I was actually just tagging along with a friend of mine and she was looking for these things to put in pots around her apartment balcony, she ended up getting petunias and a mint plant, and she wasn't very happy. We went to Osuna, High Desert, Rio Rancho, and some other small native place we passed on the way from one nursery to another...

When will we get another "REAL" nursery?!?!? I want Rowlands back!!! I've had better luck at Home Depot and WalMart! Ugh!

Comments (12)

• abqpalms
    17 years ago

abq_bob -

I share your pain.

I have not lived in Albuquerque for more than a few years, however, I desperately miss Rowland's too.

It seems like some really long-tenured, very knowledgable Albuquerque gardeners seem to really have some dislike toward how Rowland's went about their business, or the type of business they carried on, however, I am not sure what the full story behind that is/was (again, due to not having lived here for more than a few years).

However, in my short time here, I came to really, really appreciate Rowland's, and at least on the surface to me, their closing really left a big void in the area that places like Jericho Nurseries just don't have the capabilities to keep up with.

I have found Osuna Nurseries to be my favorite, but the variation between themselves and Rowland's is missed by me.

Have you tried Alameda Greenhouses? For the type of items you are looking for, I would imagine that they would possibly be a pretty decent try. However, they are kind of on my stink-list, as I purchased a cherry tree there this spring, and I believe it is dead (it never bloomed, got leaves, etc.). (Since I'd never had that kind of a problem with a tree before from any other nursery, I foolishly threw away the receipt, and now fear I am stuck wasting $35 on a dead tree).

At any event, as I probably show on my past posts, I kind of like fairly UN-common Albuquerque trees, plants, etc., however, I share your frustrations with the lack of Rowland's. I shudder that yes, at times, you are almost better off at Lowe's or Walmart, and that is downright sad.

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

I too lament the loss of Rowland's. Like abqpalms, I'm interested in mostly uncommon plants that aren't normally found at local nurseries, including Rowland's. And despite the fact that Rowland's was mostly so-so in the cacti department, I could usually find a very cool plant, and my collection has a lot of plants purchased there. I really miss cruising around to the various locations in town and finding something to buy. Osuna is pretty good, but now I almost exclusively order plants online, or shop in Tucson when I'm there. I hope a nursery comes along soon to fill the void!

cd

• adp_abq
    17 years ago

I'm glad rowlands is gone. Poor service. Worse plants. Maybe they'll reopen as 'plants of the midwest'?

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Hello, everyone,

Rowlands must have been the greatest place on earth. I just moved to Albuquerque and *everyone* I meet comments on how much they miss that nursery! I am sorry I never got a chance to shop there.

Anyone have an opinion of High Desert Gardens in Rio Rancho? I haven't been there yet and haven't heard any feedback one way or the other.

Thanks!
    Lindsey :)

P.S. Cactus_Dude, can you recommend a good place in the Albuquerque area to buy cactus plants? Any tips would be appreciated -- thanks! :)

• camnewmexico
    17 years ago

For years, I always needed quantity for many containers...mainly common stuff that would bloom all summer ...so I went to the big-box stores when they came in and was grateful for the large six-packs for great prices. Rowlands always had those tiny little plugs for lots of money in comparison..so I went there for stuff I couldn't find.

But this year? I MISS ROWLANDS, too. I have a new house with no landscaping and all of my pots need to be replaced...and I can't find any medium-sized plain old terra cotta pots in any quantity at all. They're all those expensive glazed jobs that, while gorgeous, are not what I want nor do I want to pay for them. We even trekked to Jackalope in Bernalillo and couldn't find much of a choice.

And I haven't even started on plants yet. And we're the biggest market in New Mexico, so I know going out of town is futile. El Paso/Juarez...here I come.

Unless any of you know where to go here.

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

Lindsey-

There are a fair number of places to find cacti in the metro area, such as Plants of the Southwest, Osuna Nursery and The Great Outdoors Nursery. I haven't been to Plants of the Southwest or The Great Outdoors in a long time, but they usually sell cold hardy cacti and xeric plants. In Santa Fe I usually find cacti/xerophytes at Santa Fe Greenhouses and Agua Fria Nursery.

The best place to buy cacti in NM (by far) is in Truth or Consequences. Yes it's a long drive, but if you are into exotic cacti, check out Buffalo Bill's Exotic Cactus Ranch, it's well worth the trip. They mostly sell non-hardy cacti, so if you want landscaping plants, the places I mentioned above are better choices.

camnewmexico-

As for basic clay pots, have you checked Home Depot and Lowe's? I found they usually carry a lot of medium-size pots.

Regards,
    cd

• Moonsinger
    17 years ago

Hey, guys, I miss Rowland's too. BUT, it might sound weird, but I get lots of great plants on Ebay. I've gotten fruit trees, roses, herbs, gourds, etc., and have had nothing but good luck. And you can't beat the prices. Check it out.

• catnip3
    17 years ago

I live in Las Cruces where our Rowlands closed over a year ago. But did you know that Santa Fe Greenhouses who puts out a great catalog called High Country Gardens, is now in Albuquerque? I haven't been there but it's supposed to be at the Jackalope store at 6400 San Mateo Blvd NE. Open 9 am to 6 pm every day. I love their store in Santa Fe so I hope this place is good too.

• woosmom
    17 years ago

The new High Country Gardens on San Mateo (connected with Jackalope) has a great variety of native plants. It's worth the trip!

Cori

• frdnicholas
    17 years ago

What is the cross street off San Mateo? I'm new to Albuquerque. Does High Country Gardens have vegetables as well?

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Frdnicholas,

The new Jackalope/High Country Gardens is right at the I-25/San Mateo intersection, just east of the freeway. I've never been there, so I don't know if they have veggies, but I plan to go today so if no one else posts, I'll be able to let you know tomorrow :)

Cactus_Dude, thanks for the great cactus tips! I am going to check out at least one of the nurseries today. Appreciate your help!

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Ok, I visited High Country Gardens today and here's the scoop: They have mostly flowers, ground cover, shrubs, the basic stuff. They have very few veggies (some tomatoes and peppers, mostly) and a small handful of herbs. They do have gardening supplies and a large selection of terra cotta pots and sculptures for the yard. And the Jackalope store is awesome! Every type of funky item you can imagine :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County