Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Phelan growing questions

seaecho1
19 years ago

I'm in Phelan (near Victorville, CA) and need advise on what perennials I can be successful with. I want to grow hostas so badly, but am told they just won't survive, since the summer nights don't cool off enough, and there isn't enough of a drop in temp in winter for them to go completely dormant. Sigh. . . I'm definately going to plant irises, but what else should I try? Mexican Primrose? Lamb's ears? Fuschias? Hyrbid lilies? Cannas? There are so many to choose from, but I want to be sure I buy something that won't wilt from the heat! I have full sun and partly sunny locations available. Anyone?

Randi

Comments (7)

• JoshuaTree
    19 years ago

Randi:

My wife told me last night Fuschias will not do well here in the high desert. We live in Apple Valley. She was on her way to night night when I saw your post and she didn't look at the others you mentioned. I'll try to get her to look at the others soon and I'll post her feelings.

I don't spend much time on this forum. Most is spent on the Lawn & Garden Tractor Forum.

JT

• quercus1
    19 years ago

Hi
    See my post under Hesperia. The iris and primrose is a good choice.

• pjcalgirl
    19 years ago

I'm from your neck of the woods.Antelope Valley(Lancaster,CA)Cannas do grow here.Partial shade for mine. They tend to attract pests however. California poppies are great and need very little water.Roses do well and herbs are perfect.My Rosemary,Oregano,Thyme were avalible all year round!Bay leaf trees grow well here too. I xeriscape non-native with Pinks,Carnations,Holly Hocks,Sunflowers,Violets,Day Lilys,Cosmos,Wandering Jew(deep shade),Cat nip,Mint,African Daisy and Aztec Grass.PJ

• Contrary_Mary_CA
    19 years ago

Randi:
    I'm in Victorville and I think that the best effort you can make to have a successful garden, perennial or annual is to come on down to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy yourself a book about gardening in arid areas. Once you have read about the plants that will work well, you'll be very careful to buy from the private nurseries that carry plants that do succeed or learn to spot the ones at the big gardening areas that will work. I have spent many, many hours reading and trying many different plants, watering times, etc. Yet I still don't have the perfect garden by far. I about kill myself keeping things weeded, and the ants and aphids are overwhelming. But I hang in and keep trying. Daylilies, Lily of the Nile, Yarrow, Abelia, Blue Fescue, Barberry, Wooly Thyme (groundcover, Feather grass, Columbine, Coreposis, Red Tip, Salvia, are several you should have no problem with. Dahlias are spectacular is you want to get involved with bulbs. Compost covering all plantings is a must or everything gets cooked. The soil on top can get to 108, and down a few inches 100. There isn't much that can survive that, plus you probably have clay that you must amend. Learning to do the right things will save you money and time overall. With some shade you may have better luck with somethings. Also consider using natural plants to the area, creosote, and several sages. Oakhills Nursery is very good for plants that are very capable of surviving here, not sure about Phelan Nursery.

• pjcalgirl
    19 years ago

Contrary Mary isn't joking about compost! I have heavy composting and water every other day for deep roots! PJ

• angelcub
    19 years ago

Hi Randi! I see this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd contribute anyway. I'm not too far from you, in Pinon Hills. I'm quite high up above 138, so my temps are usually at least 10 - 15 deg. lower than Phelan, so I'd rely more on what grows well in VV, a similar climate as yours. Contrary Mary gives good advice - knowledge is key, so get the Sunset Western Garden Book for starters.

As for nursery help, Sharon at Anderson's in Phelan is the best. She runs the nursery and has gardened here for a very long time. She is degreed and does landscape design. I've known her for several years and have yet to stump her with a question. DH and I have bought lots of plants and trees from her and have always been satisfied. So look her up, if you haven't already. She's there Tuesday thru Sat.

Good luck with your gardens! Diana

• natasha687
    19 years ago

A long while since this thread has been commented on but if you do buy from Home Depot remember they have that 1 year warranty so keep receipts and return dead ones.

Natasha687

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living