Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries in Albuquerque

Posted by organic_dove NM (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 16:55

I live on the westside of Abq and am trying for the first time to grow some raspberries. So far most of the bare root crop I planted have started to grow, but now I notice that a number of them are starting to look like they are dying. The leaves are drying up and crumpling. What could be the cause of this? I'm unsure how to tell if they are getting enough water from the drip system or if they need more fertilizer. I also think the wind could be a problem, but I'm wary of building anything that would cut out their sun at all.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries in Albuquerque

Sounds like lack of water not fertilizer. Generally, new plantings should be watered, one gallon or more depending on the size, every two days for the first week and increase the daily interval by one day till you reach once a wk. Continue weekly watering through the second year.

o

I grew Heritage raspberries here on the East side in Albuquerque some years ago & they did well... birds luved them! I did finally make a 6 ft.cage of netting to keep the birds away & could pick a pint or so every day. The bush roots did spread & eventually took up too much of my garden space so I let them die but yes, they did very well here where I live & the soil here is caliche ... good for pottery making(!) but ammended with some of our son's West side sand!

Good luck & I hope your's survive with more watering.

o

You need to add acid to the soil and keep them moist. We have alkaline soils which these plants cannot tolerate unamended.

Peat is a great source. Work tons in.

Iron chelate may also help with yellowing.

o

My take on berry bushes in Albuquerque. I know of some commercial Raspberries grown in the area, but I think these are in Zone A2-in mountain humus soils. In ABQ proper alkaline will keep you from either having fruit set, or it will stunt and die over time. Use a treated water to lower Ph to 4.0 Our H2O is even too alkaline.
Interesting that someone on the Front Range has been growing berries (Blueberries no less)in peet bales, and sinking the bales into the earth-with only puncture on top planting hole. It is how I now grow mine. Don't fail to wrap your twigs over winter with a warm cheese cloth-or suffer wind kill.

o

Rightwingback,

Is that a redbud tree behind you--or what? I'm new to this area.

o

Yes thank you Perlana, it is an Oklahoma Redbud. Welcome to the Southwest! Not sure what you were accustomed to, but I came here from south Texas. The soil was something i had to learn to deal with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here