Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade cloth

Posted by weeg7-8az (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 18:32

ive recently moved to the verde valley-elevation 3,500, from higher climes, 8,000 ft.am trying to get the hang of growing around here-vegies,tomatoes in particular.it gets around 108 in mid summer and some of my plants get fried.i know water,water,water.but even then frying occurs,especially with my tomatoes.am thinking very seriously about shade cloth.is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction in terms of how much protection in terms of u.v. percentage.should i go with 50%,65%,70%?locals say cut off the afternoon sun to prevent frying.ive got a few maters that ive tried to locate in areas around the house to give them morning and early afternoon exposure-it seems to be working.however ive got a plot of worked soil-inherited from the previous owners-that ive improved in hopes of getting a modest crop fresh produce from,and want to be able to put some tomatoes in there without having to worry about to much exposure.
im mulching with straw to retain moisture and keep the weeds down.
anybody out there with shade cloth experience?
weeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade cloth

I have a shade cloth and a mister hose and it does help alittle but it gets so hot even with the shade cloth things wilt but the mister hole helps alot.Here is a hose like I got but mine was much cheaper.Mine plugs in to a normal socket you can even put them on a timer.Good luck let us know how it works for you .

Here is a link that might be useful: mister hose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here