Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees in my eaves!

Posted by abq_bob 7 / SS10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 20:09

So while I was out doing my Memorial Day chores, I noticed a bunch of bees over by a pyrocantha bush near the corner of my house. Upon further inspection I found that they were entering/exiting a crack in my eaves/soffit!

Does anyone know if home owner's insurance will cover the removal of the nest, or will I have to foot the bill entirely? And what should I expect if I have to pay for it?

I don't think they've been there very long, I can't hear them from inside the house. So hopefully the nest isn't too large...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees in my eaves!

• Posted by jrod z7 NM (My Page) on
    Sun, May 27, 07 at 22:50

I'm not sure if UNM has an entomology program but you may call them and ask if they are interested or have any advice. I have heard of a few people not being charged for this service because the bees were kept for research. Might be worth a shot.

I don't know if homeowners insurance will cover the removal of the nest but I know the charge would most likely start around $100. It all depends on the situation, could me more, could be less. Good luck.

o

Please check around - a beekeeper may *want* your bees. One called me last week asking that if I found any bees swarming to let them know - they are trying to re-establish their operation.

Cheers,
Michelle

o

Sounds interesting!

As a beekeeper myself, I would echo the above advice, that someone may want that colony, if of course, they are honeybees, and not hornets or wasps. This possibility would be the first thing to check out. People I know who remove honeybee colonies from homes have mentioned sucking them out with a shop-vac. You could try that yourself with the proper attire.

I might offer to take them away for you, except that I've already housed two swarms this spring (from trees, not homes), and now have 4 colonies, which is probably too many already.

Good luck...

o

I followed the advice of some people on this site, and I shot holes in the nest with my shotgun. This did not work. It just made my neighbours and the bees angry.

Eventually somebody called he police because of all the shooting. After explaining my situation to the police, they begn firing their hand guns at the nest, but it did not work. The bees just attacked us and covered us in bee stings.

I think the best way to get rid of bees is to use a baseball bat and smash the nest so that you can be sure that it is destroyed. You may get a few bites, but nobody will be annoyed by all the shooting, and the police wont have to be called.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here