Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca transplant -- advice?

Posted by lindseylu 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 1:04

Hello,

I need to transplant a small yucca (approximately 18 inches high) and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long I should expect the tap root to be? I have read other forum postings and it seems that yuccas have big tap roots that are easily damaged. If anyone has experience with this and can offer me advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Lindsey :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca transplant -- advice?

I'd like to know about this too. Last year we dug out a weeping yucca that had gotten too big for the area it was in, and now I have like seven or eight volunteers ranging in size from six inches to a foot or more high. I'd like to dig them up and move them to a better spot.

I wonder how deep the roots go as well.

Thanks

o

depends upon the species. Generally, all transplant readily when roots are preserved as much as possible. Of the tree species, the least forgiving is Yucca elata, which not surprisingly has the longest taproot. Y. thompsoniana and Y. rostrata are very forgiving. Importance is well drained soil and not overwatering. Hope this helps. dl

o

Yes, that does help! I'll find out if my yucca is one of the three species you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Lindsey :)

o
Yucca brevifolia

• Posted by yuca sunset7 USDA 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 13:27

I've been advised that the side of the plant toward the sun MUST remain toward the sun when replanted.

o

I have transplanted quite a few and have found them very forgiving.. A couple I thought had died popped back up a few months later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here