Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorna_organic

share garden photos

lorna-organic
15 years ago

I took this photo of a roadrunner from a window in my house. The garden in the background gave me the thought it would be interesting to see some of our desert gardens.

I made the wrought iron garden to keep my dogs out. The area receives partial shade from a large poplar. Some plants are still young and piddling along, so areas look bare. The garden has: 2 young Lombardy poplars, osteospermum, cotoneaster, dark blue plumbago, Mexican sage, penstemon Palmeri, various scabiosas, chrysanthemums, snapdragons, dianthus, catananche, stokesia, sedum groundcover, French tarragon, Columbine, French marigolds, and some wild asters. I don't know what the small tree is, which appeared in the large pot in the garden.

To the right there is a young vibernum screened by chickenwire (because of rabbit problems). The small raised bed to the right has bell and chili peppers, also piddling along.

Lorna

Comments (10)

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

I love roadrunners!
    Here's my garden:

{{gwi:298131}}
    {{gwi:291160}}
    Guess where I live.

• lorna-organic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You've got a lot of trees, very woodsy, Cactusfreak. Where are you located? I'm guessing somewhere east of Palm Springs, California. Can you describe what some of your plantings are? The lilies are very impressive. Terrific gardens and great photos!

Here is a photo of my produce garden. I had to add chicken wire to the fence and replant most of it because of rabbit damage. My corn isn't going to be knee high by the Fourth of July. :(

Lorna

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

1-2) Opuntia/cylindropuntia, cholla
    3) Opuntia/prickly pear collected on roadside in Texas in 1969.
    4)Hesperaloe false red yucca in back is dasylirion.
    6) Trachycarpus fortunei windmill palm and Musa basjoo bananas and flowers are Yarrow.
    7)Lilies are Hippereastrum/amaryllis
    big bush behind cactus is Ponicerus trifoliate flying dragon orange, elephant ear is colocasia red stem and vine is Madame Galen trumpet creeper.

• lorna-organic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cactusfreak! You didn't say where you are located. You've got those lovely palms.

Lorna

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Northeast Georgia zone 7

• lorna-organic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NO KIDDING????? What a surprise!!!

Lorna

• desertlvr
    15 years ago

I should have known you weren't in the Southwest-- from those trees in the backround, cactusfreak! Very beautiful gardens you have. As soon as I figure out how to post here, I'll post pics of my Southern NM gardens--- lots of yucca and palms but not much in way of trees.

• lorna-organic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Desertlvr, you put your pictures on a photo host Website, such as photobucket. After you load your digital photos to the host Website, you can copy and paste the HTML code/tag for each photo to post them here.

Lorna

• aleighjc
    15 years ago

cactusfreak, that is amazing. I typed in where I am because I couldn't believe you are growing that here, I am Zone 7B (right outside of atlanta) So they make it through the winter???

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Aleighjc, I read your Georgia post and you may be a few degrees warmer than I am. I am near Lake Lanier and Hall county line.
    If you are in a Subdivision or surrounded by lots of trees or buildings you will be warmer. I am out in the open.
    The bananas are Musa Basjoo and the Elephant ears are Colocasias. I have several varieties that will live outdoors.
    If you are near Lawrenceville Court house there is a nursery on 29. Randy's Perennials and Water Gardens. He has lots of Palms and desert plants. However he does cover most of them in the winter. some are really zone 8 or higher.
    I never cover my bananas or the opuntias, gingers (hedychium and cucurma), or colocasias or my Trachycarpus fortunei palms. Certain palms and bananas you will need to protect.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services