Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
euglossa

seeking decomposed granite in northern utah

euglossa
16 years ago

I want to create a courtyard with herb beds and water-wise borders in my front garden. I really want to pave the courtyard and paths with decomposed granite, but I can't find any in my area.

Of the 8 local landscape materials places I called, 7 didn't know what I was talking about and the eighth said he'd pay me for a source.

Does anyone know of any sources in the Salt Lake City area or further north? I'm still 80 miles from SL, so shipping costs are a concern, but I want this stuff badly enough that I would investigate freight costs.

What else could I use? I don't want loose gravel or wood chips. I want a well packed surface, preferably in shades of sandstone. The only alternative to the granite I can think of would be paving stones, which isn't what I want either.

Comments (18)

• marie1558
    16 years ago

Did you see the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens, pg 134, also? I too am looking for it and I probably live very near you (in Logan). Let me know what you find out. Good Luck

• euglossa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I did see that one, but I've had it in mind for a couple years.

I'm in Providence. I'm going to have to start looking out of the valley I'm afraid. Found a website with a wonderful range of colors, but it is in Wisconsin.

Ellen

• handyguy_norman
    16 years ago

I am a handyman in Lehi and a client has asked for a decomposed granite pathway. I purchased some Stabilizer while I was visiting Phoeniz AZ assuming I could purchase the granite but have not found any yet. Any luck yet anyone? handyguy@broadweave.net

• gralsh
    15 years ago

Hi,

I'm curious as to whether anyone was able to find a supplier for this stuff. I'm going to be doing some pathways and a patio in my backyard next month, and DG is what I want. I went to three stone/landscape suppliers in SLC today, and none knew what I was talking about. Help!

Kevin

• flattie
    15 years ago

We have plenty here in central NM. Get a trailer.

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Have you found it yet?
    Decomposed granite is just crushed stone. The left overs from cutting slabs.
    Try gravel and stone yards.
    I saw the pretty colors in Wisconsin site. All we have here is gray. We call it crusher run. It has some bigger stones mixed in for driveways. But you can get it without. It's called granite dust.
    I would love to see pictures when you are finished. I love desert landscaping.
    The link below has all types of sand and gravel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand and gravel

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Stone yards call it crusher fine in many places. Your term 'granite' just refers to the 'mother' stone, 'decomposed' to fine texture. Decomposed granite is 'sand' from granite.

• PRO
    Bytendorp Enterprises Landscaping
    7 years ago

Staker Parson has it in Salt Lake and Ogden

• PRO
    AngelFlyte Studios LLC
    7 years ago

You should inquire about "crusher fines" which is the stond dust and fractured particles of aggregate after crushing and screening to no larger than 3/8-inches by atsm standards. This is essentially the same material, albeit not necessarily derived from crushing granite but deposits of a number of different rock material. It will have the same desired effect of suppressing weed growth while providing an attractive background and paving material. Try mixing with 8-20% portland cemdnt and a little lime to a four-inch depth for what is essentially concrete. We mix it in with a small tiller afted laying it down, then screed, compact and water thoroughly. Wait 24 hours of more for complete hardening and 32 days for a full cure. You can also decorate with insets of just about anything including boulders, cobblez, glass, other stone or flagstone steppers and pavers as islands and leave voids or knockouts for water features or statuady and spreading plants.. One caution against any material heavy in clay. The quarry can wash it all they want, but never remove all the clay which promotes weed growth in the landscape.

• cynlawlor
    6 years ago

How can I contact you Angelflyte? I did a Google search but nothing came up.

• Liz Ramirez
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have only been able to locate a few possible sources for DG in Utah. #1. http://www.bigjimrocks.net/rock.html ($89 + $19 delivery fee) and #2. Staker and parsons ($140 +$100 local delivery fee) #3. https://www.rockutah.com ($84/ yard unknown delivery fee) but none Of them sell treated stabilized DG and only offer limited choice of natural DG, which means you will be buying and mixing the hardener additives if you want to use it for pathways and patios. I have found one possible source out of California that offers national delivery and pre Treated stabilized DG, https://www.earthstonerock.com/Decomposed-Granite-Similar-For-Sale-s/263.htm.

for installation I have recieved a lot of mixed information of how to properly install the DG but i would like to put down 2-3” type 2 road base and then 1/2” top layer of DG possibly treated. has anyone already installed the DG similarly? I am trying to install the easiest maintenance pathway and patios for a heavily treed property. Anyone find any other sources to Utah?

• Chris Everett
    4 years ago

I am in Park City... who did you find to do the dg pathways etc for you?

• PRO
    4 years ago

We can do it, but we're located in South Jordan. How many feet of pathways do you have?

• Chris Everett
    4 years ago

I will call you when you open today... who should I ask for when I call?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Call Richard 801-654-1031

• Liz Ramirez
    4 years ago

My progress is slow due to creative differences with my prospective general contractor. The important take away is that #1 you can hire an excavator team to come and prep your pathways and or gardening area where you plan to install anything. #2. You can then have the road base and fine crush or chat delivered and rent the tools to install it yourself or hire it out. #3. Decomposed Granite in its traditional formula is not recommended for installation in areas that freeze and thaw. This Cautionary warning comes from the original manufacturer of DG out of California.

With these things in mind it’s just a matter of finding an appropriate method for installation and or alternative materials. A great book is “Decomposed Granite and other materials for walkways and patios” By Leslie Patten. She talks about how to install the DG in wet and snowy areas without using pre mixed hardened DG. it is her recommended installation method that I will be using for my my own installation. I am just shopping around looking at the different suppliers of chat and fine crush.

• Chris Everett
    4 years ago

awesome!! thank you for taking the time to write that all out... I may just do a ground level composite boardwalk but I really like the decomposed granite stuff