Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeking decomposed granite in northern utah

Posted by euglossa UT (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 12:49

I want to create a courtyard with herb beds and water-wise borders in my front garden. I really want to pave the courtyard and paths with decomposed granite, but I can't find any in my area.

Of the 8 local landscape materials places I called, 7 didn't know what I was talking about and the eighth said he'd pay me for a source.

Does anyone know of any sources in the Salt Lake City area or further north? I'm still 80 miles from SL, so shipping costs are a concern, but I want this stuff badly enough that I would investigate freight costs.

What else could I use? I don't want loose gravel or wood chips. I want a well packed surface, preferably in shades of sandstone. The only alternative to the granite I can think of would be paving stones, which isn't what I want either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeking decomposed granite in northern utah

Did you see the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens, pg 134, also? I too am looking for it and I probably live very near you (in Logan). Let me know what you find out. Good Luck

o

I think I did see that one, but I've had it in mind for a couple years.

I'm in Providence. I'm going to have to start looking out of the valley I'm afraid. Found a website with a wonderful range of colors, but it is in Wisconsin.

Ellen

o

I am a handyman in Lehi and a client has asked for a decomposed granite pathway. I purchased some Stabilizer while I was visiting Phoeniz AZ assuming I could purchase the granite but have not found any yet. Any luck yet anyone? handyguy@broadweave.net

o

Hi,

I'm curious as to whether anyone was able to find a supplier for this stuff. I'm going to be doing some pathways and a patio in my backyard next month, and DG is what I want. I went to three stone/landscape suppliers in SLC today, and none knew what I was talking about. Help!

Kevin

o

We have plenty here in central NM. Get a trailer.

o

Have you found it yet?
Decomposed granite is just crushed stone. The left overs from cutting slabs.
Try gravel and stone yards.
I saw the pretty colors in Wisconsin site. All we have here is gray. We call it crusher run. It has some bigger stones mixed in for driveways. But you can get it without. It's called granite dust.
I would love to see pictures when you are finished. I love desert landscaping.
The link below has all types of sand and gravel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand and gravel

o

Stone yards call it crusher fine in many places. Your term 'granite' just refers to the 'mother' stone, 'decomposed' to fine texture. Decomposed granite is 'sand' from granite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here