Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1fullhouse

Cuttings from Mexican Bird of Paradise?

1fullhouse
16 years ago

Curious if you can grow BOP from cuttings, or only from the seed pods?

Any info would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I looked up BOP on line so that I knew what plant it is (I'm a newbie) and I'm really happy now because this is one of those bitty plants I keep mowing over in my back yard. I may just dig them up next time I go to mow so I have something to bring to the next plant swap (now that I know it's something people want to grow!).
    BTW after looking it up on the net it says that propagation is from seed but who knows, maybe someone has done it from a cutting.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I've got a few in my front yard. And a friend wants to grow some in hers. There are no seed pods yet, and well, she keeps bugging me about it! lol

• growingup
    16 years ago

I just planted seeds from a pod today, but I did also plant cuttings from a bouganvillia. I don't know the specs on the Pride of Barbados/Mex bird of paradise, but for the bouganvillia, I cut them, applied honey to the ends and planted them right away.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I decided to do an experiment anyways. I took some cuttings and dipped them in rooting horomones, then in a planting mixture. We'll see how it goes!

• kim2007
    16 years ago

Hello to all on the forum--
    I don't know about growing Bird of Paradise from cuttings, but I planted a total of 5 BOP seeds in April, and of those 2 sprouted and are now about 7 inches tall, growing for the time being in pots. (I'm in the NM highlands, and I've only seen one of them growing in a yard here, but I'm optimistic!)

• rbarbour1114_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I have seen Mexican Red Bird of Paradise do very well here, in Albuquerque, NM, when planted on the South side of a wall. We are in zone 7. It will die down to the ground in Winter, but after it sprouts in Spring, will grow rapidly and bloom well. The "NEW Mexican Bird of Paradise" is much hardier and performs much as any other hardy deciduous shrub.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I would like to see a photo of Mexican Bird of Paradise in bloom. Can anyone post one, please?

Lorna

• norwood1081
    15 years ago

Hi Lorna:

Just happened to come across your post and thought I'd contribute. I bought this Mexican Red Bird of Paradise plant locally in a 2 gallon pot in 1993. I forgot about it and in 2006 I started watering it when my wife almost pulled it out thinking it was a bunch of weeds. I cut it to the ground around November and in April it starts growing again. This was taken in July. Black butterflies love to propagate this plant all summer.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living