Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings from Mexican Bird of Paradise?

Posted by seraki 9 B (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 13:01

Curious if you can grow BOP from cuttings, or only from the seed pods?

Any info would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings from Mexican Bird of Paradise?

I looked up BOP on line so that I knew what plant it is (I'm a newbie) and I'm really happy now because this is one of those bitty plants I keep mowing over in my back yard. I may just dig them up next time I go to mow so I have something to bring to the next plant swap (now that I know it's something people want to grow!).
BTW after looking it up on the net it says that propagation is from seed but who knows, maybe someone has done it from a cutting.

o

Thanks, I've got a few in my front yard. And a friend wants to grow some in hers. There are no seed pods yet, and well, she keeps bugging me about it! lol

o

I just planted seeds from a pod today, but I did also plant cuttings from a bouganvillia. I don't know the specs on the Pride of Barbados/Mex bird of paradise, but for the bouganvillia, I cut them, applied honey to the ends and planted them right away.

o

Well, I decided to do an experiment anyways. I took some cuttings and dipped them in rooting horomones, then in a planting mixture. We'll see how it goes!

o

Hello to all on the forum--
I don't know about growing Bird of Paradise from cuttings, but I planted a total of 5 BOP seeds in April, and of those 2 sprouted and are now about 7 inches tall, growing for the time being in pots. (I'm in the NM highlands, and I've only seen one of them growing in a yard here, but I'm optimistic!)

o

I have seen Mexican Red Bird of Paradise do very well here, in Albuquerque, NM, when planted on the South side of a wall. We are in zone 7. It will die down to the ground in Winter, but after it sprouts in Spring, will grow rapidly and bloom well. The "NEW Mexican Bird of Paradise" is much hardier and performs much as any other hardy deciduous shrub.

o

I would like to see a photo of Mexican Bird of Paradise in bloom. Can anyone post one, please?

Lorna

o

Hi Lorna:

Just happened to come across your post and thought I'd contribute. I bought this Mexican Red Bird of Paradise plant locally in a 2 gallon pot in 1993. I forgot about it and in 2006 I started watering it when my wife almost pulled it out thinking it was a bunch of weeds. I cut it to the ground around November and in April it starts growing again. This was taken in July. Black butterflies love to propagate this plant all summer.

B o P 1

B o P 1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here