Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonsinger_gw

Spanish broom and hollyhocks

Moonsinger
20 years ago

Geez, these plants just flourish everywhere except my yard! I even see hollyhocks sprouting up in concrete parking lots. My broom just sits there, never growing beyond the gallon size I bought it a year ago. My hollyhocks grow about a foot tall and just won't flourish. I water, I fertilize, I ignore, I try everything. I give up. Unless someone has a foolproof suggestion.

Comments (11)

• junkmanme
    20 years ago

Moonsinger,
    Here is a link to a poem about the technique I used to raise hollyhocks:

Here is a picture of "Queen Blind Melon Hollyhock":

If these will grow in Gallup, they'll grow anywhere!

If you would like some seeds, I'd be glad to send you some if you'll e-mail me your mailing address. If you plant the seeds now, you'll have flowers next Summer.

Best Regards from another New Mexican,
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

• junkmanme
    20 years ago

Moonsinger,
    Sorry, for some unknown reason, the links did not work.

Anyway, if you would like some seeds of hollyhock (single blossoms - magenta color, somewhat pinkish), e-mail me at: TwinButtes66@hotmail.com

Best Regards,
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

• Moonsinger
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hey, Junkmanme, no, the link worked. The poem is darling, and the hocks are spectacular. Thanks for your offer of seeds, but believe me, I have plenty. I will plant them a little later, right before fall. You think that would work?

I've tried for YEARS to grow them, had them like gangbusters "back east" but not here. Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying.

thanks, again.

• dbarron
    20 years ago

I had been in a similar situation and bought some well grown seedlings of the Chater's Dbl strain this year (3-4 month old plants probably). I planted them in amongst Irish potatoes and asparagus (in a raised bed). I have flowers now on the the double dark red. I'd have flowers on the others, but a rabbit kept decimating them this spring...all live but some not as vigorously (due to rabbits) as others.
    I suspect by next summer they'll be happily flowering, and I *may* have seedlings from the one flowering this year.
    Considering that I've planted at least thirty trying to get them to live this advanced into the season....I think the raised bed is helping (I do have spring wet soil, but most perennials (and even cacti) can cope with it..maybe not hollyhocks).

• Moonsinger
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info, dbarron. I might try starting some seedling myself next spring.

• junkmanme
    20 years ago

Moonsinger,
    Seeding your hollyhocks before Fall should work out just fine. Just try to get them established before "Ole Man Winter" shows his face.

Good Luck!
    Junkmanme

• wexey5
    20 years ago

Hollyhocks will bloom in the second year. Are yours two years old yet? If not keep them alive and enjoy the blooms next year. Wexey

• Moonsinger
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will try everything, once again.

Yes, wexey, the ONE hollyhock that lived and bloomed is 2 years old, 2 feet tall, with lovely pink flowrs. She's very lonely.

• nmnative
    20 years ago

My hollyhocks do very well and I don't really do much. I had the prettiest ones in my mulch pile where it gets very little water. Those I didn't plant, but when I do plant them I just rake, throw seeds and rake again. Good luck they shouldn't be work!

• pjcalgirl
    19 years ago

I live in plant hell.Holly Hocks flourish...They act wierd in shade here(get really bushy and hardly bloom). Are you trying full sun?PJ

• Cflower
    18 years ago

My Spanish broom has quit blooming. Will it bloom again this summer. Seems like the flowers lasted forever, now they are gone.

Sponsored