Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

problems with quail or rodents eating plants

jadeite
10 years ago

I posted this originally on the Pest and Disease forum, but was advised that this might be a better place.

We live in Albuquerque, up against the Sandia mountains. We have a walled garden which we are trying to restore. Like everyone else, we have hordes of rabbits. They jump the wall and will mow down anything green, including the plants rabbits are supposed to ignore.

But now we have another problem. We have flocks of quail who come for the water we put out, and the seed that falls from the two feeders we have near the wall. Last year I saw them peck some portulacas down to the ground.

I have four pots of sedum which I plan to put into the ground which is being dug and amended. I found that the sedum had been eaten down to bare stalks. Is this quail or rabbits or something else? In one pot of annuals which had been eaten down to the soil, we found rodent droppings.

I am using a homemade version of liquid fence in hopes of deterring the rabbits. Will this work on the quail and rodents? If not, what can I do?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Comments (4)

Sponsored