Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yuletide Sun Camellia in a 2 ft wide foundation bed?

Posted by nika107 California (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 14:38

Greetings all! This is my first time posting in this forum, and I'd appreciate any and all advice and recommendations!

We just moved into a new house (our first house as a matter of fact) and I'm very much a gardening newbie. We had some sort of hedge/vine thing planted in a 2 ft. wide by 4 ft long bed running along the foundation of the front of our house, which we removed when we moved in, and now it's just a bare piece of dirt just waiting for something to be planted into it!

I visited a local nursery, and received two recommendations -- a yuletide sun camellia or an azalea. I really like the idea of the sun camellia, especially since it will put out bright red blooms over the winter, and have lush green leaves in the summer.

But I've found varying info on the size of the camellia, and am wondering if it would grow too big in the space we have for it? The foundation bed gives way to the sidewalk leading from the driveway to our front door, so I need something that won't block that pathway too much.

The space is shaded in the morning, and then receives dappled sunlight in the afternoon. And we live in Southern California, in zone 9b I believe.

If anyone thinks a sun camellia is the wrong plant, I'd love any other suggestions....

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yuletide Sun Camellia in a 2 ft wide foundation bed?

From what I've read, it can do well in filtered light. If your concerned about size, you can espalier it. you can find directions if you search "espalier camellias." It involves tying branches against a frame work and pruning branches that stick out perpendicular to the wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here