Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla lily in new mexico

Posted by greenjesse 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 15:37

Do you think calla lilies will grow in the high plains in new Mexico? If the soil is adequate and it get enough water, will they survive the hot dry sun? So far I have been able to keep everything I've planted alive but with difficulty Bc the soil dries out too quickly. I just don't want to loose the plant Bc it is one of my favorites. I've been growing it in a pot for over a year and it hasn't flowered yet. The houseplant forum and aroid forum both suggested I put it in the ground outside so now I'm asking the southwest gardening forum if it will live and flourish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla lily in new mexico

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 17:16

Traditional callas are cool-soil plants. They are late winter/early spring bloomers here in Northern CA, but your colder winters would be tougher on them. They are cold-hardy only to zone 8.

Once the soil warms up the Zantedeschia aethiopica start going dormant and need good drainage so the rhizomes don't rot. Hybrids like Z. elliottiana and Z. albomaculata like more sun and bloom later, so they are a little better with warm soil, but once the temps hit past 80 they will start fading too.

Short wide pots would work best, I think. Check your rhizomes for rot. Z. aethiopica is by far the most floriferous and strongest; the others are puny bloomers compared to the Aethiopica varieties. I've had the hybrids take 2 yrs to rebloom once in the garden.

o

Mine did very well in the ground until this past winter when I lost some of the bulbs. I give them alot of water and they get about 7-8 hours of direct sun. I have the red ones, which are the ones I think I lost and the yellow ones, which are planted in the same bed, and are actually younger than the red ones. They made it fine through this winter. My wife has hers in the front yard, ibut she gives them less water than I do. Hers flower, they're just shorter than mine in the back yard. Hope this helps.

o

This advise is helpful. Today, I put my other calla lily outside today (still in the pot) just to see how it would do. It didnt do so well. It started to wilt after a couple hours in the sun. I had to bring it in. I have decided to keep them in bigger pots and change the soil each year. (Thanks for the website).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here