Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaglen_gw

palms in abq

jaglen
14 years ago

I live in abq heights(tanoan)and is interested in planting a few palms. Which do you recommend? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• adp_abq
    14 years ago

1. chinese windmill palm (trachycarpus fortunei)
    2. california fan palm (maybe) (washingtonia filifera)

#1 should do well. #2 might if you have it in a hot south facing area. My neighbor has both. In the case of palms in albuquerque, I'd buy the largest one you can. Smaller transplants don't seem to survive the winter here. You may want to wrap them first year/two in the coldest months.

• desertlvr
    14 years ago

Agree with above 2 species and to get as large a specimen as you can obtain/ afford. Rhapidophyllum Hystrix would also work. The trick is to plant early enough in the season to get the roots established and harden off for winter by keeping them dry after 2nd or 3rd week in October. Southfacing area in NE Heights is probably best over all microclimate for palms in Albuquerque. Be prepared to wrap trunk, tie up leaves, etc. A labor of love but may be worth it if you love palms.......... good luck.

• flattie
    14 years ago

I have Trachycarpus 'Manipur', T. nanus, T. fortunei and Chamaerops humilis in my yard. The Trachycarpus stay green in the winter. The Mediterranean fan palm burns every year but comes back. Interestingly, the suckers appear hardier than the parent. Trachycarpus is a no-brainer in ABQ. It will be the only palm left standing when we go below zero again (not if but when). Also, it rarely burns in ABQ unless young. There are some Washingtonia filifera in town. It is not an easy palm to keep alive in ABQ but worth it when you graduate from the trachys. Trachycarpus is the only palm that will set seed in ABQ and could potentially naturalize here along the bosque.

Also, worth trying are Sabal minor and the needle palm mentioned earlier (R. hystrix).

The best palm for ABQ may be Nannorrhops ritchiana (particularly cold ecotypes such as 'Kashmir'). It is not a beginner palm though and is easily over-watered and killed when young. Good luck.

The craziest palm to survive outdoors in ABQ is a date palm on the north side of Central in front a hotel near Carlisle. This date (!) survives every winter including the massive snow we had a couple years back. It may be very old and is growing in a crack near the sidewalk. Please someone in ABQ take a good picture. You know the one. This palm may be Phoenix theoprastii (the Cretan date). I have seedlings from RPS so this gives me hope to see this beautiful palm make it. I wish it could be tissue-cultured. Where is UNM botany when you need it?

• vieja_gw
    14 years ago

A neighbor here in close-in Alb. right at 5200 ft. elevation planted two palms (sorry, I don't know the variety) two years ago in the front east facing yard ... right out in the open. Last winter we got down to 19 degrees here & I thought for sure the palms would die... most of it turned brown by Spring but they were pruned back (the brown parts) & they are growing & doing just fine this summer!

I must go seek out the one on Central near Carlisle though & take a photo!

• denboy121
    14 years ago

Being a frequent vistor to the Duke City at all timnes of year I am more and more amazed witrh the variety of desert plants lanscapers are starting to use. Plants I never thought woulud grow in the high desert of-Albuquerque are thriving just like in El Paso,Tucson or similar places.Octillo,agave,centruy plants,barrel cactus,Mexican fans plams, tri palms,olives,,The best concentration of plams in yards is on S. /Carlyise south of Central ,Have also seen othe large stands of fan palms near the river of Montano and in the upper nrighboorhoods off Montano and Coors.

• cave76
    14 years ago

I'm looking for ideas about container shrubs/small trees on my balcony here in NW ABQ.

I need a couple for a privacy shield from apts. across the street.

I'm willing to pay the price to get large ones so I get the screening right away. Is there any such plant?

My balcony is bright in a.m. with sunshine coming in starting about 2 p.m. or so.

Our occasional high winds would be a problem.

Thanks in advance. I've looked for a forum, but haven't waded through ALL the posts.

• flattie
    14 years ago

I am keeping my Arbequina olive as a container plant on my porch. It is liking our summer. It will be kept small and come in in the winter.

• flattie
    14 years ago

I just planted some Sabal minor here in ABQ. Anyone else growing scrub palmetto?

Sponsored