Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyaerody

Scottish Thistle in Southern California

mollyaerody
12 years ago

I'm very new to plants and I have a few questions regarding the ability to grow a Scottish thistle plant where I live.

For our anniversary in September, I would like to give my boyfriend a Scottish thistle (just like how Murron gives William Wallace the thistle in the movie Braveheart).

My first question is where can I buy a Scottish thistle plant and approximately how much would it cost? Second, if I were to obtain one, can I grow it during a typical Southern California summer? Thirdly, if it is compatible with the climate here, will it produce the purple thistle in time for our anniversary? If it were to bloom prior to September, that is alright because I would just press the flower in a book for the time remaining.

If the above is not possible, would it be possible for me to simply purchase a flower from someone who is already growing them or even a nursery? I know that sounds like an odd request, but if it was doable, it would be very helpful.

As I stated earlier, I am very new to growing plants and I was very confused by what several websites told me about how to grow a Scottish thistle plant. Any help or clarification would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

Sponsored