Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scottish Thistle in Southern California

Posted by mollyaerody Southern California (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 17:47

I'm very new to plants and I have a few questions regarding the ability to grow a Scottish thistle plant where I live.

For our anniversary in September, I would like to give my boyfriend a Scottish thistle (just like how Murron gives William Wallace the thistle in the movie Braveheart).

My first question is where can I buy a Scottish thistle plant and approximately how much would it cost? Second, if I were to obtain one, can I grow it during a typical Southern California summer? Thirdly, if it is compatible with the climate here, will it produce the purple thistle in time for our anniversary? If it were to bloom prior to September, that is alright because I would just press the flower in a book for the time remaining.

If the above is not possible, would it be possible for me to simply purchase a flower from someone who is already growing them or even a nursery? I know that sounds like an odd request, but if it was doable, it would be very helpful.

As I stated earlier, I am very new to growing plants and I was very confused by what several websites told me about how to grow a Scottish thistle plant. Any help or clarification would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Scottish Thistle from film.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scottish Thistle in Southern California

Here in texas it is considered a invasive. If you checked your states invasive plant list and still want it, I am sure that I can find some seed, BUT are you sure you want this? My grandfather declared war on scotch thistle and spent many hours over years and years walking the hills of Pennsylvania irradiating it. It was his pet obsession. He even trained his dogs to dig them up.

o

Thank you so much however I have located a plant very inexpensively. I appreciate your offer very much, though. :)

o

Inexpensively? Hell, my folks have it for FREE - it's growing in their back yard! It is, indeed, an invasive. If I could spend more time at their place, I'd be able to pull all that sucker up - you could have it all, too, if you wanted. It's very pretty, but (sadly) doesn't belong here - at least not in the wild.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here