Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stawberry Tree- Arbutus question

Posted by chrisnsd socal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 19:07

Does anyone know how deep an arbutus marina will grow roots in the first 7 or so years? I have a circular planter I want to put one, but there is drainage line about 3-4' directly below the ground level of the planter. Will they go that deep? is there something I can line the bottom with to prevent root invasion?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stawberry Tree- Arbutus question

Roots will grow to the best water supply available, so your drainage line is a prime target if it has relatively constant flow of water. If you restrict root growth you limit the total plant growth and health. So you be the judge.

o
RE: Stawberry Tree- Arbutus question

I just planted one Saturday and although I cannot directly answer your question, I am wondering how large your planter is. I am under the understanding that the Arbutus marina gets anywhere from 25-30 feet tall, although I have gotten alot of conflicting info.

Some other things I learned in my research:
The roots do not like being disturbed. so if you are planting other things with it... I am guessing they should be long term plants.
Water deeply to establish and develop DEEP root system (I am thinking you would not want to restrict)
Arbutus Unedo is a smaller tree, but I think it has dif. bark.

In relation to what petzold said...In my community, they require (2) trees to be planted in every front yard. Our previous owners went overboard and planted alot of trees. We have had alot of problems with tree roots in the main line and have had to have it routed out about 1x per year. The plumbers say it is a common problem in our community because of the tree requirement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here