Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, what's wrong with my fruitless mulberry tree?

Posted by newgen 9 California (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 1:03

Tree was planted 1 year ago, survived the cold winter with no issues. This past spring, lots of new leaves sprouted, tree looked good. Fast forward to now, as you can see from the 3 photos attached, the leaves near the tip of branches are green and healthy looking. The leaves towards the main trunk (old growth) all have brown areas and pale green to yellow coloration. I've no idea what's causing this condition. Any info is appreciated. I really want this tree to grow fast for some shade. Thank you!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, what's wrong with my fruitless mulberry tree?

How are you watering the plant? How often?

Have you fertilized it, and with what?

My first guess would be build-up of 'salts" from frequent shallow watering and too much fertilizer.

o

It does look like salt burn and water stress.
Is there any mulch around the base?

o

Ah, you guys probably nailed it.

Water: along with the lawn sprinklers, 15 minutes daily.
Fertilizer: irregular, about 3 weeks ago I sprinkled some 15-15-15 around it. Prior to that, nothing.

How do you suggest I do it from now on?
Thank you!

o

15 minutes a day isn't going to keep any tree happy for very long especially in summer.
You need to give it long slow soakings. This will give it a chance to fully hydrate,help leach excess salts in the soil and encourage the tree to put down deep roots. Can you water out at the drip line or flood the planting area? Don't water up next to the trunk, that won't help.
Since your tree is showing signs of salt burn I wouldn't give it any more fertilizer for a while. Fertilizers are salts and might aggravate the situation. Could you put some yummy compost around it instead?
Would it be possible for you post a photo of where the tree is growing? If we could see that we might could come up with more ideas.

o

Here are the photos, let me know if you need to see more.
Thanks,
Photobucket
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here