Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow japanese maples in the southwest?

Posted by mucknmire zone6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 15:52

Is it possible to successfully grow japanese maples in the southwest? We're thinking about moving to Albuquerque or Las Cruces and would like to grow japanese maples but don't know if anyone has tried growing them there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow japanese maples in the southwest?

You'll be fighting the alkaline soil and the resulting chlorosis that this tree will inevitably get. Maples in general don't do well here. This type of tree apparently is also shallow rooted . Not a good fit.

Click on link for list of recommended trees for the abq. area.

Here is a link that might be useful: albuquerque recommended plant list

o

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that the soil was alkaline. Probably too much sun too since jmaples are understory trees. I guess I'll have to grow them as bonsai if I want them. Also thanks for the Albuquerque plant list!

o

Actually they do grow in Albuquerque but in very select locations........sheltered from hot sun, and drying winds. I see them often in courtyards and other protected areas, but not out in the open. And forget the real finely cut leaves or the red colored plants. Not a general all purpose plant, but one that will be OK if you are willing to give it a sheltered location and combat the iron chlorosis that will always be a problem.

o

Here's another link that may be helpful. If you like small trees then there are many desert or desert adapted trees to choose from like:

new mexico olive/privet (shrub or tree)
desert willow
redbud
screwbean mesquite
mexican elder
smoketree (purple leaves)

Here is a link that might be useful: another link from nmsu for abq

o

Crumpet,
Thanks for the info that you can grow them in a sheltered place. But now I don't know if I want to go through that much trouble to grow them. I guess it's best to grow native plants adapted to the climate/soil conditions rather than trying to grow something from a totally different environment. Pretty trees tho so I may give it a shot if/when we get out there.

adp_abq
Thanks again for the list of small trees. Glad to know the redbud grows there. We have several in our yard here including the dark purple "forest pansy" and we love them. Thanks for the nmsu link.

o

mucknmire:

I've lived in both cities (currently in abq) so if you have any questions about them let me know.

o

"I guess it's best to grow native plants adapted to the climate/soil conditions rather than trying to grow something from a totally different environment."

It's a whole lot easier, that's for sure. And I figure getting to know the local plants is a good way to quickly gain an understanding of and appreciation for your new home.

Patrick Alexander

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here