Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stereotypeq

Los Angeles Kangaroo Paw,Sage,CalleLily, Dalhia, Help! w/ pics!

stereotypeq
11 years ago

Hi Garden Web.

So... looking for some advice. New to gardening, and things are going ok for some of my stuff. I'm in Los Angeles, and the soil is very clay like. Everything is in full sun for the most part. Everything I've brought was transplanted from store containers. Here's the questions I have (and all advice is welcome):

1. Hercules Calle Lily is pretty unhappy. I water it almost daily. I know it doesn't love the heat now.. is there nothing I can do? It looks nicer in these pics, but i remove yellowing leaves a lot. I've had to stake it to help it stand recently.

any advice/help?

2. Kangaroo paw & hummingbird Sage - was good for a bit. but I get confused, after the flowery part looses it's color i want to cut them off. I think I'm suppose to cut from the bottom of the stem.. but then there's essentially no plant left? how does this ever get big with that theory? Same question for the Sage.

{{gwi:545851}}

Dalhia - I lost the card so I don't know what variety this is. (do you??) this picture is before it went bad, but the start is at the bottom. I think i was overwatering. (I bought a soil tester and it said "wet" so I'm letting it dry out...) which is weird because it's in full LA sun and likes to be moist.. I watered like once every 2-3 days. any advice?

Appreciate any help! Also just planted some Bougainvillea. One I transplanted and is living 3 weeks later! but not growing yet... I water every other day, about. i tried less but the leaves started to sulk.

the other was purchased grown 4-5ft up and I'm leaving in store container (as it seems the other the soil just fell off the roots and this is better for it).

Is it bad to just leave things in store containers? I have a peace lily i put the store container into a pot. easy. and i think it's fine.

Lots of questions, appreciate whatever you have for me!

I'm new and don't know a lot about what I'm doing.

Comments (2)