Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metaforical

lawn level rising? What could cause this?

metaforical
11 years ago

Hello all,

I've just purchased a home in an arid part of Los Angeles. It's about 37 years old and the back yard will need some serious landscaping.

I've been measuring and find it odd that the retaining wall 'feet' of concrete at the back of the lot seem to be heaving up out of the soil. The smaller retaining wall between it and the lawn also seems high.

The lawn itself is at least 6 inches higher than the concrete slab patio and I find it strange that anyone would purposely build the house so that the yard slopes TOWARDS it.

On the other side of the high retaining wall is a cul de sac street, all of which is at a higher level than my home and garden.

There is pitting in the concrete of the patio, as if from water standing there quite a bit.

Here's my concern: Is it possible that ground water is 'flooding' into my yard below ground, increasing the volume of subsoil? Can the lawn rise UP?

AND, how do I remedy such a thing. I'm planning to re level the lawn to slope away from the house, and I'll get a mason in to check on the wall and make sure it's stable, but should I call the city and check the drainage in the area? Has anyone every seen anything quite like this?

I don't see where water drains from and to on this property or any of the others on the street.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!