Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What WON'T goats eat that will grow in the desert?

Posted by shawnnicole z10LA Rdndo Bch (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 04 at 17:30

My brother lives in the high desert of California (a different zone than mine listed above.) Do you know of any plants that will grow in the hot, hot days and the very cold nights of winter, that the goats WON'T devour? Plants would need to be very drought resistant.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to protect the base of trees from the nibbling goats?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What WON'T goats eat that will grow in the desert?

I am from the High Desert of Ca. (Lancaster). I can't imagine any plant that is goat-proof,they will chew anything.(Shoes,fences,etc,...) The trees will need wire all the way around them and farther up than the goats can reach "hopping" on thier back legs. My guess would be 10ft. There also needs to be a space of about 6"(kinda guessing here) betwwen the wire and the tree so the goats can't eat through the wire.Clever little buggers. A wire "bubble" around flowers might work. I'd just pen the goats and be done with it. I know someone with 10ft fountain grass that lets the goats out once in awhile. The stuff will leave cuts on human skin.The grass might be too big to make a difference with one goat?
Drought resistant plants can be poisonous. I'd stay away from Datura,Lantana and yellow Sage to name a few.PJ

o

A year ago last winter, my wife "found" a native cactus in our backyard. It was only one "leaf", shrivelled, and about the size of a nickel. She decided to plant it in a 6 inch plastic pot (VERY bad idea). The first spring it decided to take off-- it grew to about the size of a baseball with 3 extra "leaves" (what the heck are those "leaves" called anyway?!) It also decided to flower that same spring.. Now, after almost 2 years of growth, "Spike", as my wife affectionately named it, is about the size of a basketball with thorns on it that hurt just by looking at them. The thorns are huge-- about 10 mm long with a base of 2-3 mm. I won't even WALK near it because I'm scared of it.

Anyway, I can't imagine ANYTHING wanting to eat Spike. Remember those kids in junior high school that just looked mean? You didn't want to bother them, right?! Well, that's Spike. He scares you just by looking at him. I will bet you a years salary that Spike is goat-proof.

If you are interested, I would be happy to amputate Spike's arm and send it to you.

o

Having owned a goat for about 6 years. The Boxwood shrubs that stood about six feet tall, gone. Cucumber could stand on her hind legs to over 6 feet tall (she didn't like my ex).
Oddly enough she didn't like cucumber, the veggies not the plant, if it was green she would eat it, we used her a asort of lawn mower for the 3+ acres of property. We would bring the dogs in for the day and let her wander around and eat the weeds, she liked mustard, and black eyed suzies. She never ate the pine, eucalyptus, or roses. But that might have been because she was very well fed on grass, mustard, alfalfa (regular feed) and the figs that dropped into her pen.

o

I don't think anything anything eats creosote (Larrea tridentata)...

"(what the heck are those "leaves" called anyway?!)"

If you mean on prickly pear or the like (i.e., these things), they're called cladophylls, or, more informally, pads or joints. I like the word cladophyll since it describes what the things are to some extent... "clade" means "branch", "phyll" means "leaf", and the pads are branches that perform the functions of leaves.

Patrick Alexander

o

How about Red Squill. Scilla is a summer dormant perennial bulb and is relatively drought
tolerant.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

I think I've read that desert iguanas eat creosote leaves. As for goats, I couldn't say.

o

"I think I've read that desert iguanas eat creosote leaves."

The flowers I know they eat... I don't think they eat the leaves, though, and I've never heard of them doing damage to the plant. Desert iguanas also don't occur in anything I'd call "high desert"...

Patrick Alexander

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here