Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
walkway through bermuda grass?

Posted by xill none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 18:51

hello all, i'd like to create a walkway in my yard around some of the gardens, but i'm pretty sure i have a bermuda grass lawn (and if i dont i soon will because all my neighbors have it). short of pouring concrete, what can i do? i had originally thought of cutting out the sod about 6-8" down, laying down thick mil plastic and covering with pea gravel and large pavers. this will keep the grass out of my walkway for sure, but i fear it would create serious drainage problems when it rains and probably wash away all my gravel. i could kill the bermuda grass in that area, but its hardly worth the time and work knowing that it will just creep right back in. what is another type of walkway i could use? will pavers and paver sand do a good job of keeping the grass from popping through too much? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: walkway through bermuda grass?

What sort of traffic is going to use the walkway?
Feet? Wheels? Crutches? Walkers?

o

• Posted by xill none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 19:26

just my own two feet. i could keep it as grass but i just dont see the point of watering, fertilizing, and mowing a 2-3 ft strip. this is basically an access path for me to walk along and kneel on when i need to weed or prune my shrubs and flowers. it will be in my front yard which receives virtually no traffic since we all spend our outdoor time in the fenced-in backyard. theres also two mulberry trees in my front yard which in 2 years will be much larger. since they drop berries and leaves once a year, my idea of pea gravel might not be a good one when its time to clean up. so i'm thinking large pavers now which i can sweep clean, but i still need a substrate between the pavers besides having to pour concrete. i guess im hoping theres a more effective solution to using landscape fabric (bermuda grass just laughs at that stuff). anyone have a better idea?

o

Ugh! I do hate bermuda....... this is the one thing I use chemicals on. It's the only thing Ive found that works, but even with Roundup you have to spray every couple weeks for about two years if it is really established. First I would dig out as much as you can and throw away all the pieces of roots and leaves. Then do the spraying. The problem with plastic and rocks is that the roots are really strong and will break thru your barrier.... sorry I cant be more encouraging.

o

What you describe will NOT keep out the bermuda.

You need solid concrete.

o

Bermuda will even grow right over solid concrete unless you keep it trimmed back.

The best way is to keep fighting all the bermuda that gets into your yard.

o

Hello. Red clover is very effective at crowding out Bermuda grass; its roots are even denser so it takes over. Get some red clover seeds and disperse over your Bermuda. The red clover can be trimmed like any other lawn and most people find it more comfortable to walk on than Bermuda. Another benefit is that the flowers are very attractive to pollinators, so if you let it bloom your vegetables/flowers/trees will benefit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here