Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_el_paso

June Yard Pictures

mike_el_paso
17 years ago

Now that Summer is in full swing and the monsoon season is right around the corner I thought I would post pictures of my yard after I gave it a mid summer pruning.

Phoenix canairensis pruned up to clear the driveway

{{gwi:1265255}}

Red bird after it first winter. It started blooming in late May and really started to grow when we had a stretch of 100 plus temps earlier in this month.

{{gwi:1265257}}

Washingtonia filifera. They are starting to bend away from each other, and the growth rate has started to blast off in this their third growing season.

{{gwi:1265259}}

Brahea armata and Agave havardiana

{{gwi:1265261}}

Yucca rigida and Larrea tridentata

{{gwi:1265263}}

Yucca rigida, Agave havardiana and Brahea armata. I think the rigida has a slight edge on blueness.

{{gwi:1265266}}

Brahea and Red Bird from a different angle

{{gwi:1265269}}

Aloe vera and Phoenix canariensis

{{gwi:1265271}}

Syagrus romanzoffiana. The first emerging spear started coming out fine, but then the center part showed some of the cold damage from last Dec.

{{gwi:1265274}}

Full view of queen

{{gwi:1265276}}

Yucca filifera

{{gwi:1265278}}

Comments (9)

• abqpalms
    17 years ago

Mike - Just wanted to tell you thanks as always for posting your photos! Every time I see a mike_el_paso post or photo, it totally rekindles my desire to someday move 225 miles south and become an El Pasoan!

I have a chance again in either late July or early August to get down to EP, and I am really excited about it, as I always am in counting down the days until my random EP visits through the year!

Thanks so much for posting - just beautiful stuff - Viva El Paso!

• albuquerquefanpalm
    17 years ago

Hey Mike. Nice pictures of your plants. I like to plant palm trees here in Albuquerque. They thrive here very well. I plant Mexican/California Fans. I sold a few to a couple of friend. They Love 'em. I get them from Las Cruces. Anyways you have a really nice yard.

• abqpalms
    17 years ago

Greetings, albuquerquefanpalm -

Have you seen this thread yet?:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/swest/msg0515265531027.html?14

Perhaps you have some additional palm tree sightings/neat locations throughout Albuquerque that others are not yet aware of? If so, would love to hear of them! Or just your experiences with palms in Albuquerque...

Always very exciting for me - an ABQ palm enthusiast - to hear of another ABQ palm enthusist realizing that palms do better here than the old perceptions were. Anyway, would love to hear if you have other locations/experiences with palms here!

• albuquerquefanpalm
    17 years ago

Yes abqpalm. I would love to give a list of some palm sightings. There are about 200(a few I planted) palm sightings here in Albuquerque. Here is a list of some locations:

.:. 1. My place. Wayne Rd. NW. Between 2nd and 4th streats. North side of road. "Four washingtonia robustas."

.:. 2. Solar Rd NW. West off 4th st between Osuna and Montano. North side of road. "3 windmills and 1 washingtonia robusta."

.:. 3. San Ildefonso Dr NW. Taylor Ranch area. North off Montano. West side of road. "Four huge 15 foot washingtonia filiferas."

.:. 4. Basalt Ave NW. West off Unser on Lava Bluff Dr. Basalt Ave is about 4 streats down. "Two 10 foot Washingtonia Robustas."

.:. 5. Camino Paisano NW. West off Unser on 98th St. First left on Calle de Entrada NW. First left on Camino Paisano NW. At a corner house. "Windmill and alot of little Washies."

.:. 6. Kane Ct NW. South off Ladera on Market St NW. Make a left on Hanover Rd NW. Then make a right on Blossom Wood Pl NW. First right on Kane Ct NW. "Two houses with alot of Washingtonia Robustas/Filifers."

There are many, many more palm sightings in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho Area. I wish there were many more like El Paso. That would make Albuquerque more resortful in my opinion.

• randit
    17 years ago

Mike...Thanks for the pics. I think your combo of the 'Red Bird' and the Yucca rigida is especially nice..great contrast, with each plant complimenting the other. Good with Brahea too, but form is better with rigida. I have to ask: What size is your yard..?! Most of these plants, including Y. rigida will get quite large. I love 'Red Bird', but suspect that it is not fully hardy in Las Cruces..?

• williamdent
    17 years ago

Beautiful pics. My father and I are planning on converting our traditional water guzzeling yard in Bakersfield, CA into a more water wise Xeriscape/southwestern look and I can't wait to show him these photos. I'm sure we'll get some good ideas from them. Thanks for sharing

• chena
    17 years ago

WOW!!! Great yard.. You have done a beautiful job. I live in an area that is so dang dry and hot it is hard to find things .... coz we also get the sub zero weather as well...Thanks for sharing your pics...
    Chena

• albuquerquefanpalm
    17 years ago

Hi chene!!! What area are you from if you don't mind me asking? How hot does it get where your at? How cold does it get? What is the average precipitation in your area? I would be more than happy to give you some advice as to what would be good for your yard?

• DISSmith
    17 years ago

Mike: How old is that Queen Palm? (Great photos by the way.)
    DebS

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County