Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody know how to raise a Joshua Tree?

Posted by creekland Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 20:56

In September last year, I bought a pack of eight Joshua Tree seeds which came with an instruction manual, a small pot, and soil. Just recently, I got around to planting them and a few successfully sprouted. Unfortunately, the instructions don't have anything on what to do after they sprout. Also, I can't plant them in the soil around my home because I live in Pennsylvania. Could someone please tell me where I could buy some desert soil or how to make some, and how to transplant them without killing them. I will appreciate any advice or any other wisdom.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody know how to raise a Joshua Tree?

Do you have a box store such as Home Depot, Lowes, K-mart, Wal-mart close by? Those stores normally carry what we refer to as "cactus mix". Any brand will do. Joshua Trees are not all that fussy about special soil requirements but do prefer to have good drainage. Or you could just use 2 parts regular potting mix with 1 part perlite added. Let the seedlings develop at least 5-7 leaves then gently use a mini hand towel or tweezers to push the seedling off and plant in a new container with fresh mix. Water well and do let soil dry out between watering.

o

Thanks for the information! I looked in a Lowes and found out that they did have the soil brand, but they were out of it. Also, our Wal mart does not carry it. Is there any other information on growing Joshua Trees that I should know? Please tell me if you have any other information since this is my first time growing them.

PS I had planted eight seeds in the beginning of the month. Out of those only three sprouted, but the third one died before it produced its first leaf. The other two so far are doing well.

o

Don't overwater and give them as much light as possible as they grow. You don't want to fry the seedlings but they are going to need a ton of light later on.

You can make your own cactus mix by adding perlite and sand to potting soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here