Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beneficial Bacteria Breeding?

Posted by MetalEd CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 22:37

I have a serious problem with my plants that I have tracked down to a fungi or bacteria. A lot of my plants and my neighbors trees start out in the spring with symptoms similar to leaf curl (peach).. Plants like pomegranate, peach, grape, tomato, green been, peppers (8 variety so far).. I have also found a white fungi growing under large areas of bark mulch when the soil is moist. And for years I have tried different things to grow healthy plants, without success.
Most of the plants will show great improvement when we get real dry (drought area)... They will actually thrive unless they die from lack of water. (illness comes back with regular watering, must keep things very dry!)
So I assume it is a water/ground born bacteria and I am trying to treat it with Bayer's Natria, which is bacillus subtilis..
The few plants I have treated have shown improvement in just a few days. But this stuff is very expensive and it covers very little of my yard/plants per a bottle (recommend treating weekly).
Can this stuff be bred? (grown/incubated)??? I thought maybe it could be and am trying an experiment. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, threw in a handful of worm casing and then sprayed about a cup of the treatment into the bucket. It has been kept warm and in the dark for almost 24 hours. It is getting real cloudy (white, same as the treatment when it is in concentrate. it was originally clear) and smells like the spray (vinegary type smell)...is this the beneficial bacteria multiplying that I am looking at, or is it just wishful thinking. It seems like this would be proper conditions to create more of this bacteria for use in garden/yard sprayer.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks all!
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beneficial Bacteria Breeding?

You may be on to something there. I should not be difficult to grow any bacterium, as long as you provide the right conditions. An aquarium aerator and some molasses (for quick nutrition) might be two easy additions to improve the growing environment.

Below is a link to a scholarly article about culturing the bacterium for use in agriculture (South African avocado growing). I did not bother reading it, but it should provide more than enough detail on how to do it.

http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/SAAGA/SAAGA_1996/SAAGA_1996_PG_54-58.pdf

o

What else have you tried? Sulfur could be a less expensive alternative. The main problem with culturing your own is the fact you're also culturing who knows what else, up to and including Legionaires' disease.

o

I agree with pasadena that there might be another easier solution to your soil problems... however, I don't really see a problem with what you're trying. I'm sure glad that not everyone in history has been scared to culture bacteria, otherwise we'd have no sauerkraut, yogurt, bread, soy sauce, pickles, beer, wine, etc...

Also, nobody has shown any problem with culturing compost tea, which is a real shot in the dark (put some partially finished compost in some water and aerate for a few days, then spray on the plants and soil) compared to this.

o

Hi,

Do you use drip systems to water your plants? In the heat of summer here in zone 9 Riverside and the short fall and short cold winter the white fungus is kept under control by carefully regulating the water and where the water goes.

Sometimes turning in the bark helps. Usually it is to much bark. Using shredded leaves or a walk on bark mixed with the shredded leaves helps control the white stuff.

Have you treated the leaves? I'd stay away from making my own uncontrolled bacteria factory. I'd try changing your mulching medium and how thick you mulch.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here