Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carob tree?

Posted by Las_Palmas_Norte Zone8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 05 at 23:05

I'm wondering if what I have here is the Carob tree (Ceratonia silliqua)? It was a volunteer along side a Windmill palm in a 15 gallon container. I removed it and potted it up last year. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Barrie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carob tree?

Yup, it's a carob.

BEWARE - one of the sexes has a vile odor when in bloom.

o

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not certain I'll even keep this Carob since it's borderline hardy for my area. Interesting about the blooms vile odor.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

The carob tree is said to smell like sperm when it is in bloom. A gay friend of mine was standing under my carob, which is a lovely old tree and blocks the afternoon sun from the front of my house, a wonderful thing in Phoenix, and said "Oh, doesn't that smell wonderful?" I said "What?" He said, "The carob tree . . . it smells like come". My response was I'd never bothered to smell come so I had no idea. He went on to explain that all of the gay men he knew loved the carob tree because of its smell. I personally love it because it never requests water, stays green and makes yard pretty and cooler. It is a female so I get to clean up the pods a couple of times a year, but that is a small price to pay.

o

oh man, i cant stand driving in the older parts of phoenix when those suckers are in bloom... its just wrong.. im glad no one plants them here anymore!

o

haha..... too funny. A poll of my gay friends does not particularly like the smell of carob trees.

o

I'm looking for someone who has a Carob Tree. I need the pods for a craft project. If you live in the LA or OC area...I'm in Glendora, CA...please let me know if you will share your carob pods with me. Thanks.

o

All this talk and nothing about using the seeds as a coco sub.

o

Where can I purchase a carob tree????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here