Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Yucca (Blooming??)

Posted by fliebynight 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 23:38

I have 3 red yucca's that are younger (smaller) and have not bloomed. I started looking around and have seen that some people that have owned the plant for years have yet to see a bloom. Has anyone else had this experience? Do they just need to mature in order to bloom or do some of them just not bloom? Thanks in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Yucca (Blooming??)

I have a few of these plants. I purchase them and they were maybe about 2 years old when I got them and now they are 3.

Out of the 3 I planted...
1 - I gave to my Mom and she planted in a garden that became overgrown. She then removed it from that bed to more sun and it seems to be picking up.
2 - I planted in 6 hrs sun and it shot up an inflorescence a few months after planting then the inflorescence died down then I noticed 2 offsets on this one. It did not bloom this year but it is 3 plants now(I will divide soon)
3 - I planted next to #2 last year and it did nothing at all so I moved it wo a FULL FULL sun area that is dry too and raised bed. It shot its inflorescence up for me early May and it it still looking great now. It also has a baby.

Long story short. Either these bloom every other year(I am not sure if they are biennial). Or just need to establish. I do know that these plants like it very dry and very hot. Ever since I moved #3 last year it has thrived.

o

If you mean Hesperaloe parviflora, they like full sun, good drainage, fairly little water, and hot summers.

If you keep dividing and moving them, the may never bloom.

o

Thanks for the follow ups! I have mine in an area that is VERY dry and does get full sun so hopefully after they are established or sometime next year they will start to bloom. Being that they are new transplants, I am watering once a week to get them established but will probably cut that back to once every 2 weeks in the near future. Thanks again.

o

I hope you can post a photo of your Red Yucca. Thanks.

o

they like to grow in a tight cluster of plants that comprise a large plant., so stop dividing them if you want them to look good and bloom lots of stalks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here