Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wineandlobos

flowers that dont like water

wineandlobos
16 years ago

What are those desert flowers called that dont like water, they start with a p.

Comments (3)

• adp_abq
    16 years ago

penstemon?

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

Penstemon (many species)or paperflower (Psilostrophe species). Actually they don't dislike water; they just require excellent drainage. Usually once a week watering in the heat of the summer is all they need but they do need it. Of these 2 genuses, paper flower is the most drought tolerant. Try Plants of The Southwest on 4th in Albuquerque for both of these. They also have a great variety of native low water plants which look great all year.

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

High Country Gardens on San Mateo in Albuquerque a good source of native plants. They also have a shop in Santa Fe. The salespeople are knowledgeable.

I love penstemons. There is a wide variety of plants in the family. They are related to snapdragons. I find the family does very well here; I have many types of pentstemons and snapdragons.

If you like roses, Ross Nurseries sells Weeks brand roses, which do very well in this area. The roses sold by Home Depot and Walmart do not do well here. Jackson Perkins roses do not do well in this climate. Roses are not low water maintenance!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH