Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowers that dont like water

Posted by wineandlobos New Mexico 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 0:47

What are those desert flowers called that dont like water, they start with a p.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers that dont like water

penstemon?

o

Penstemon (many species)or paperflower (Psilostrophe species). Actually they don't dislike water; they just require excellent drainage. Usually once a week watering in the heat of the summer is all they need but they do need it. Of these 2 genuses, paper flower is the most drought tolerant. Try Plants of The Southwest on 4th in Albuquerque for both of these. They also have a great variety of native low water plants which look great all year.

o

High Country Gardens on San Mateo in Albuquerque a good source of native plants. They also have a shop in Santa Fe. The salespeople are knowledgeable.

I love penstemons. There is a wide variety of plants in the family. They are related to snapdragons. I find the family does very well here; I have many types of pentstemons and snapdragons.

If you like roses, Ross Nurseries sells Weeks brand roses, which do very well in this area. The roses sold by Home Depot and Walmart do not do well here. Jackson Perkins roses do not do well in this climate. Roses are not low water maintenance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here