Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diananj

HElp Need Advice on PLants Hardy to Albequeque!!

DianaNJ
19 years ago

Hi All. A dear friend moved out the NEw MExico a bit ago and is just sick over not being able to keep many of her favorite shrubs and perennials from back East. (duh) She has remediated her soil, but it is still mostly clay. She has a drip hoses installed but the dry heat is quite oppressive without any shade.

ANd so, she needs recos for blooming plants (shrubs or perennials) that will do well under these conditions. I recommended rosemary, which eventually will make a nice hedge, but she wants things like lilacs, butterfly bushes, rose of sharon ... and I just can't imagine any of them being strong enough to weather the arid conditions out there.

Would any of you local pros please give me suggestions for her? Is there anything non-succulent, preferably tall, that will give her the blooms she wants? She has seen butterfly bushes and oleander out there, but I'm wondering how really tough it would be to keep them ... She is just so homesick for something familiar ... Thanks in advance for your help, DIana

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz