Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sacha_l

4 season gardening in NM?

sacha_l
17 years ago

I am in Albuquerque, thankfully fairly close to the river and "inherited" a very well established gardening area. I have in tomatoes (4 cherry/2 pear/3 regular), 2 basil, 6 jalepanoes, 4 bell peppers, 6 brussel sprouts (which are not doing a thing) and 2 enormous butternut squash plants. I have been very happy with this garden and would like to continue it over our mild fall and winter. What else can i grow here and when do I need to plant? Thanks in Advance for any help :)

Comments (5)

• chagrin
    17 years ago

Sorry to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but the only plant you mention that will withstand even the first frost in Albuquerque (usually around end of October)is the Brussel sprouts. Or are you gardening in a greenhouse or some sort of structure that can be heated in winter? Winter gardening in the open in the high desert is limited chiefly to very hardy greens such as some types of kale, collards, lettuces, scallions, etc. But what one usually does is plant such things in the fall for an early harvest in spring. However, if you have the means to provide protection with such as bales and row covers, you may be able to eat these types of things all winter, if the winter is not too harsh.

• sacha_l
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, Guess I was not that clear in my first post. I am harvesting all that I mentioned now and am looking for suggestions of other things I can plant over the winter and early spring. Thanks!

• juniemarie46
    17 years ago

In Oct go our and sprinkle poppy seeds and larkspeur seeds in your garden. They will come up in early spring. They will reseed ever after.....if you dont like a fairly wild look I dont rec trying it cause they will grow eveywhere willy nilly.
    Also if you have a cold frame you can grow all kinds of greens like lettuce, kale,cilantro, spinich,parsley. I even grow sweetpeas in my cold frame. d

• maggie_grower
    17 years ago

Please describe the cold frame in more detail. Against a south wall with southern exposure? Walls of strawbales with glass covering? Adjusting glass cover for day's temp sometimes? Problems, if any, with critters? I'm new to this region - cold frames for me were a way in northern Canada to start some veggies in the spring. It's sounding as if I can use the same type of structure and grow greens outdoors through winter? I was going to establish an indoor greens growing project, but having it outside would be much better! When to plant the greens? Many thanks!!

• humster
    17 years ago

I am also very interested in the answer to this question. I'd like to start a cold frame project this weekend, but I also think that up here in Sandia Park we may have a rough winter this year. How would that affect the growth and timing? Any info would be a help. I'd like to go with some of the plants suggested by dolores.

Heather

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington