Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving to the Austin,TX area

Posted by Jennifer9906 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 04 at 9:38

HI everyone,
I am moving to the Austin, TX area, and am not sure what is gonna make it. I am and will still be in in 8b, but it is hot with black gumbo here, and we hardly ever get a good freeze. Where I will be moving, it will be about an inch of soil and then solid ROCK..and they get colder weather with occasional snow that lasts about a day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will grow well there and take the heat and cold? The more drought tolerant plants will be ideal.. just kind of looking for suggestions:)

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving to the Austin,TX area

SOLID rock? That might be a challenge! My property is caliche and rocks myself, fortunately not very much solid rocks of any size. I've got some raised beds and areas where I've added a little bit of topsoil so I could grow some plants that can't tolerate my caliche. Look at this link, it has xeriscape plants for that area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin xeriscape

o
RE: Moving to the Austin,TX area

Welcome to Austin. What area of Austin will you be located?
I think you will love it here but gardening can be a challenge. This year has been mild but some summers are quite severe with lots of temps over 100 that really burn up the plants. Winters can get into the teens even tho the past few years have been mild with only a few freezing days. Get to know your native plants for the area--they can handle the variation best. If you will be west of I-35 the "soil" will be very alkaline. East of town is blackland prairie. You might want to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and get familiar with the native plants--your best bet in this challenging area. Their website is http://www.wildflower.org and you can check out their database. Also, when you get to town, go visit all the gardens at Zilker Botannical gardens to see what grows here. For roses, azaleas and such you will need to put in beds with special dirt. There are lots of good nurseries here so when you get to town be sure to check out Natural Gardener, Barton Springs nursery, Marbridge, It's About Time, etc. Also Home Depot usually has a table of natives but also carry a lot of plants not really suited for this area.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here