Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Elder Tree in Albuquerque

Posted by adp_abq 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 10:53

Can mexican elder trees be grown successfully in albuquerque? I used to see them all over las cruces and el paso. I haven't seen any here. I'd like a small tree for my front yard (about 20 ft). I am also considering a chitalpa or maybe a new mexico olive trained as a tree. I don't want a desert willow. There are too many on this street already. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Elder Tree in Albuquerque

I'm pretty sure Mexican Elder is hardy here because I've seen it in a few locations around town. You could also try several types of mesquite and/or acacia, not to mention Yellow Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii). Another more exotic option is Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) which is very cold hardy and is excellent for ABQ.

o

I ended getting a screwbean mesquite tree (prosopis pubescens). Thanks for the suggestion.

o

I have both Trachycarpus fortunei (and Sabal minor) growing near a newly planted Mexican elder. Time will tell if this combo looks good.

o

Some of these trees grow along the west side of Washington Street NE in the first block north of Central Avenue, old Rotue 66. They are mature but in need of care. Apparently they were planted by the original owner of the De Anza Motor Lodge, an adjacent historic motel built in 1939. The trees are big enough to suggest they're as old as the motor lodge. They are very sculptural.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here