Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decomposed Granite as outdoor planter/potting soil?

Posted by brownmola 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 11:05

Hello, I have 3 very long and skinny planters (8ft. long, 1.5 ft. wide, 1.5 ft. deep). They are being planted with drought tolerant plants, most likely tea trees and desert roses.

I literally have a ton of leftover decomposed granite. I've heard that it is fast draining and these type of plants like that. Can I just use the DG in the planters or do I have to amend or mix it with something else?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decomposed Granite as outdoor planter/potting soil?

You need something to hold moisture, which decomposed granite will not do. You can mix fine decomposed granite into regular potting mix to improve the drainage, but you need to be making a mix similar to "cactus mix" at least.

Keep in mind that plants in containers need to be watered more often than the same plants would if they were planted in the ground.

o

Would a 50/50 mix of decomposed granite and compost do the trick? I could also add in some peat moss.

Thanks lazygardens.

o

Don't add peat moss! Compost and regular potting soil would be better than straight peat moss.
Have you considered just selling the granite? Or perhaps donating it to a worthy project? Do you have a Master Gardener unit in your area? Many have school/nursing home projects they work on and might could use the stuff. Ask around.

o

decomposed granite is excellent for planters. you might want to ask al (tapla) on the container forum. he's got a thing going on there where everyone is going crazy searching for granite.

o

One might also add some perlite or vermiculite (depends on what you are planting) to the mix of compost and DG to give the mix a little resistance to compressing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here