Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my fig dying?

Posted by cactus_dude Albuquerque (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 11:29

I think I've really messed up my Ficus petiolaris. A few days ago I fertilized it with Miracle Gro all purpose liquid fertilizer. Since then, all the leaves are drooping and starting to feel a little dried up. The plant is looking very bad. I didn't even mean to fertilize it, but I forgot that the jug of water that I used had the fertilizer in it for my wife's flowers. I'm really bummed, because prior to my boneheaded mistake, the plant was really thriving. Is this the end, or is the plant just in shock? Is there anything I can do? Any advice is really appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my fig dying?

Hi;- I would not give up on it yet. Generally, I find them to be extraordinarily tough. I completely defoliate
mine several times a year to reduce the leave size without a problem. I would try flooding the plant down
with water then move it to the strongest light possible. I would not water again until I see it starting to
put on growth. Good Luck!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o
RE: Is my fig dying?

two of our newly-planted figs dropped their leaves and completely recovered with more robust growth then before. I think this is cause the nurseries raise them under shade cloth and our strong sun requires that they re-adjust.

Don't give up on it.

-stu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here