Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanted Canadian Needs Help in TX

Posted by TxTcher 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 12:59

My husband & I recently built a house on 20 acres in the country near Abilene TX. I've lived in this area for 20 yrs but have never attempted any real gardening. Now I'm faced with the prospect of designing and planting a yard. As you may suspect, I'm not much of a gardener. I need to take baby steps. My 1st question - its the beginning of Aug. What, if anything can I plant? Where do I begin?We are having an unusually wet summer with 6" of rain at the beg of Jul. However, the weather is now very hot and no chance of rain in sight. But, I'd like to start somewhere. Is it too late to plant any grass? Maybe I could start with a small xeriscape-type bed up against the house in front (on the left side of the pic - left of the front porch)? The front faces east. Where could I find a plan and step-by-step instructions? I am really interested in growing native things that do not require a lot of water or work. And, I don't want to have to mow a ton of grass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanted Canadian Needs Help in TX

I am in a similar situation having to plan and plant my house when I've never even pulled a weed before in my life. I have found the following references helpful for native plant and local gardening info (certainly more than this forum, or even most of the other forums here on GardenWeb):

1) Your county agricultural extension and/or master gardeners' program usually have tons of info on what you can plant when

2) The Hot Garden by Scott Calhoun (book)

3) Natural by Design by Judith Phillips (book)

4) Desert Landscaping: How to Start and Maintain a Healthy Landscape in the Southwest, by George Brookbank (book)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here