Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine for chain link fence

Posted by kreyn 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 14:02

Appreciate any suggestions for covering a 6' tall, 28' long chain link fence which is in a planter that is one and a half feet deep bordering our neighbors yard.
The last 10' of the fence jets out 6' where a tree used to live. This is east facing. I was told the Anacapa Pink morning glory would look good. Bougainvillea would not be a choice though. I'm thinking of converting to water wise plants in my garden. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine for chain link fence

If you want something that will grow fast without any care, morning glory may be your plant. It sounds like you have lots of room for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

Drummond's Clematis would work well and cover the fence with white plumes. Roving Sailor (Maurandella antirrhiniflora), which has small purple flowers, is another good option. Both are native to the Southwest.

Ty

o

Hi - Have you thought about vigna carracalla, corkscrew vine.
Mine, are growing like mad in the triple digits temps. and thriving! lol. Good Luck, Mistee

o

Trumpet Creeper, Queens Wreath and Cat Claw all do well in Zone 9 and require little water once established.

o

Cat Claw will do the job. I recommend using several plants. They are water thrifty once established, and will make a lovely, dense foliage.

o

I wish I knew how to get rid of Trumpet Creeper! It is a huge mass of uncontrolable sorrow for us. I may whip out the round-up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here