Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaille_gw

angel trumpet

Gaille
18 years ago

I don't know why healthy potted plants and trees seem to be in shock as soon as I bring them home from the nursery. Even hardy grasses, palms, fruit trees, Bouganvillea, etc. Could it be the direct sun in Southern California? A 4 ft Angel Trumpet is the latest concern. It is still in the 12" pot, has been watered every day. Even though we have it under cover, it has dropped leaves and is now down to the tree stalk.

I need advice on where and how to plant it knowing that there is very little shade on the property.

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Gaille -
    How do you bring them home? What kind of vehicle, how far to drive, etc.

• Gaille
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ahhh.... Thank you for the question about how we bring them home. Now that I think of that, it's usually in the back of a hot car for about an hour. That could be the answer.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Here is some great info on angel's trumpets and as noted in one of the posts there are several more threads dedicated to this lovely plant:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/txgard/msg0805082016549.html?13

I was intrigued by ur post as i have never heard this plant needs lots of water - i suspect that it may be dropping its leaves due to overwatering and possibly too much shade. i would plant it into a larger pot immediately and then follow the directions given by these folks who grow them regularly.
    good luck!!!

• babesy
    18 years ago

Can anyone tell me if Angel's Trumpet or the Datura grow well in Phoenix?

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

babesy, They grow great in Phoenix! The most blooms I've had on this one was over 50 this last spring! They can take only early a.m. sun, like LOTS of water and are heavy feeders :)
    {{gwi:1265727}}
    Check out the Arizona gardening forum if you haven't already, lots of Phoenix folks there!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Your plant could go into shock from going from a shady nursery or greenhouse to direct sun. Sometimes they will lose leaves and then eventually grow back. When I lived in Phx. I grew all my brugs in morning sun/afternoon shade and had no problems with flowering. Just make sure to keep them watered but not with soggy feet. Brugs seem to like alot of water going by but not to stand in it. Sometimes they drop leaves if the roots are rotting from too much moisture (I know hard to do in AZ lol). Anyhow just watch it and see if the leaves start to return - if they don't or the stem gets soft then definitly check the roots for rot.
    ~Good luck

• pswoody
    18 years ago

A friend brought me an angel trumpet plant on her recent visit from Charleston, SC. Since we are now having frosts here in eastern tennesse, i have brought the plant indoors. However, it is losing its leaves. Is this normal? Should I just let it die back and put it back outside next spring when all danger of frost is over?

• sheilam
    18 years ago

The trumpet plants I got from a Garden Club spring sale were just woody stems about 15 inches long in a bucket of water. No visible roots but I was told to put them in water and leave until roots were about 3-4 inches long and then plant. It worked! I have 3 plants about 6 feet tall thAt have bloomed profusedly all suMmer. EveN this late in the year ~ I had over 100 blooms on NOv. 8th! UNREAL. What I want to know is when and how to cut the stems?

• Gaille
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am so amazed and pleased with the results you had with your angel trumpet. I have no idea what to do now but the one plant I had did so well when we put it in the ground in a partially shaded area. When I say 'well' I don't mean piles of blossoms like some of you got, but mine is alive and doing much better. Thank you all for your info and stories.... I'm so glad to have connected on to this site. You can always reach me: gaillebrennan@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths